[comp.sys.apple2] Old! AppleII Plus

3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET (02/15/91)

I am the owner of a very old AppleII Plus computer who has turned to Macintosh
computing several years ago. The AppleII now sits unused since the keyboard has
 problems (several crucial keys don't work.) I would like to recover some usabi
lity from the machine (maybe donate it to a young student or a school) but lack
 the know-how for fixing the keyboard. The local Apple dealer couldn't help sin
ce the machine has a "Pre-revision 7" board. I hate to just toss the machine si
nce it is a great hobby machine to learn about a computer and how it works (the
 built-in monitor program is a great exploration tool.) Can anyone offer any su
ggestions of hope for this machine?

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/16/91)

In article <91046.1038093IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET> 3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET writes:
>(several crucial keys don't work.)

If you, or somebody whose technical skills you trust, are willing to
attempt it, the following procedure MAY solve these problems:

I have found that many keyboards, probably including the style used
for the Apple II+, with time accumulate cruft on the key contacts.
In some cases, at least, the cruft can be removed by CAREFULLY but
forcefully pulling the keycap straight up to remove it, leaving the
key contacts exposed.  There is probably a plastic plunger mechanism
that controls whether the contact is "made" or "broken".  If you take
a 1/8" wide strip of a standard business card, operate the plunger
so as to open the contacts, insert the strip of card between the
contacts, operate the plunger to allow the contacts to close on the
strip of card, then gently slide the strip of card up and down,
often the cruft will be transferred to the strip of card or at least
gotten out of the way of the contacting surfaces.  One reassembles
the key by removing the strip of card (of course), then pressing the
keycap carefully back into its original position.  Good luck!

URP005@DDOHRZ11.BITNET (Bert Haberland) (02/18/91)

I just had the same problems with the keyboard of my II+ Rev. 7. First I
tried to solve the problem by cleaning and bendind the contacts just a
little bit, which worked fine for half a year or so and the problems
returned. As I'm using another IIe and there's a big difference between
II+ and IIe german keyboard I decided myself to build an IIe compatible
keyboard for the II+. Now you might think, "That's THE solution", but be
careful: It's an awful lot of work and you have to have experience in
soldering electronics. For this alternative it would be better to have
some more e-mails if you're interested. If you like to keep your Rev. 0
one-part-keyboard I can only offer the circuit diagrams for the keyboard
matrix and the mainboard connectors etc in case the solution offered by
Doug Gwyn does not help sufficiently and you have to rebuild the matrix.
My first question concerning my problem was also addressed to my apple
dealer and they offered me a Rev. 7 two-part-keyboard for an enormous
price,which I was unable to accept. If the price is acceptable for you,
this should solve your problem too as it's compatible mechanically for
fixing and electrically for the connector.
                                               Bert.

?) (02/19/91)

In article <91046.1038093IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET>, 3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET writes:
> I am the owner of a very old AppleII Plus computer who has turned to Macintosh
> computing several years ago. The AppleII now sits unused since the keyboard has
>  problems (several crucial keys don't work.) I would like to recover some usabi
> lity from the machine (maybe donate it to a young student or a school) but lack
>  the know-how for fixing the keyboard. The local Apple dealer couldn't help sin
> ce the machine has a "Pre-revision 7" board. I hate to just toss the machine si
> nce it is a great hobby machine to learn about a computer and how it works (the
>  built-in monitor program is a great exploration tool.) Can anyone offer any su
> ggestions of hope for this machine?

Well, if nothing else, it can serve as a bad example! ;-)

Bruce