[comp.sys.apple2] Audio Animator Sluggishness

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (02/16/91)

I've had the Audio Animator for a while now, but haven't used the digitizing
option very much.  Tonight, though, I gave it a whirl and was a bit pissed-
off to find that the playback rate doesn't track the record rate.  What
happensis this:  I record at 24000 samples/sec, and set the playback rate
to match.  I record my voice, and the AA plays back my voice sat a somewhat
lower playback rate.  The net result is that music comes out transposed
half step down or so.  It's impossible to match the playback rate to the
record rate through experimentationn without a great deal of pain.

Before I call AE customer service on Monday, I was wondering if anyone
else out there had similar problems.  Any idea what the problem could
be?  I'm hoping it isn't a hardware problem.  Could it be the AA software
I have?  It is the 1989 "Audio Animator Program Disk" Version 1.3.

--
Dave Seah ^..^  |  Analog Design Automation Research Group - Graphics & GUI  |
                |  University of Rochester, Dept. of Electrical Engineering  |

////// Internet: seah@ee.rochester.edu ////// America Online: AFC DaveS //////

scott@brnded.ne1300.ingr.com (Scott Gentry) (02/19/91)

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) writes:

>I've had the Audio Animator for a while now, but haven't used the digitizing
>option very much.  Tonight, though, I gave it a whirl and was a bit pissed-
>off to find that the playback rate doesn't track the record rate.  What
>happensis this:  I record at 24000 samples/sec, and set the playback rate
>to match.  I record my voice, and the AA plays back my voice sat a somewhat
>lower playback rate.  The net result is that music comes out transposed
>half step down or so.  It's impossible to match the playback rate to the
>record rate through experimentationn without a great deal of pain.

>Before I call AE customer service on Monday, I was wondering if anyone
>else out there had similar problems.

Hiya, Dave!:)  Yup, I've had a "similar" problem with my AA.  My problem
manifests itself in the much the same manner.  I asked
Phil Montoya about this problem about a year ago.  Phil answered by sending me
the updated software but it didn't seem to help too much.  For my purposes,
the problem renders the board useless.  I originally purchased the AA to get
high quality samples of guitar riffs so I could learn them by ear without
to go back and forth on a tape, LP, or CD while allowing me the luxury of
fine speed control on playback.  Well, the speed control in the two audio
digitizers I've seen wasn't up to snuff, so I'm still SOL.  Believe it or not,
the HyperStudio digitizer seems more accurate speedwise than AA.  Heck, if you
feed it direct output, it even can sound decent.  But still, speed control
isn't precise enough.

I know this doesn't help much, Dave - who knows, maybe someone has the same
problems we do and has a fix...

See ya Friday!

* W. Scott Gentry       | uucp: uunet!ingr!ne1300!brnded!scott |   I didn't   *
* Intergraph Corporation| America Online: AFL Scott            |   mean it!   *