[comp.sys.apple2] MNP5

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (01/25/91)

What is the best way to utilize MNP5 on a modem? I need to know about settings
and flow control? I have a AE DataLink Express 2400 w/ MNP5. Also need to know
about the control panel settings on the GS.

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu
                          @uwlax.bitnet

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (02/12/91)

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my modem is taking advantage of MNP5
while online?  IS there a way?  Thanks.  :)
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`
      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
         // _//\\\\
       ((` ((

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (02/16/91)

Anyone in general... MNP5 discussion...

MNP5 only works if both ends support MNP5.  MNP5's benefits are error
correcting, and data compression.  The data compression will work best with
text files... precompressed files will actually take longer to download.

If you have MNP5 you also have MNP2-4.  MNP4 is the data compression part of
MNP5.  MNP4 you will actually get some speed improvements albeit extremely
small, over normal transmission.  Reason been no more errors and smaller over
head.  Speed up 0-10%, I'm just guess.  Of course, if you're on a very noisy
line the throughput suffers drastically... and the modem maybe fall back to
1200 baud... rest of the stuff I've read gets foggy...

MNP5 bit old news anyways... I'm after V.42 and V.42bis modems... which have
upto 4 times data compress and error correcting... MNP5 data compression is 2x
sometimes more, sometimes less... but V.42bis doesn't suffer any when
downloading pre compress files.  Oh, V.42 is error correcting only... V.422bis
is the one with both... it's the new standard for the true 9600 baud modems,
too... 38.4K baud they're advertising now... or something like that...

Yeah, forget MNP, go for V.42bis... Supra 2400+, Roger Coat's selling for $155.
have to get one of those someday.

Well, that all folk's...

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple

In article <m0j7N1x-00006fC@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>MNP5 bit old news anyways... I'm after V.42 and V.42bis modems... which have
>upto 4 times data compress and error correcting... MNP5 data compression is 2x
>sometimes more, sometimes less... but V.42bis doesn't suffer any when
>downloading pre compress files.  Oh, V.42 is error correcting only... V.422bis
>is the one with both... it's the new standard for the true 9600 baud modems,
>too... 38.4K baud they're advertising now... or something like that...
>
>Yeah, forget MNP, go for V.42bis... Supra 2400+, Roger Coat's selling for $155.
>have to get one of those someday.

	Fry's Electronics (in Sunnyvale, Fremont, and Palo Alto, California)
sells 9600 baud modems for $499. I'm positive they're v.32, I think
they're also v.42.. Not sure about v.42bis. They seemed very advanced for
the price. Cheaper than I've ever seen 'em anywhere else, including
mail order.

	One of those'll be one of my next purchases...
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (02/19/91)

>        Fry's Electronics (in Sunnyvale, Fremont, and Palo Alto, California)
>sells 9600 baud modems for $499. I'm positive they're v.32, I think
>they're also v.42.. Not sure about v.42bis. They seemed very advanced for
>the price. Cheaper than I've ever seen 'em anywhere else, including
>mail order.
>
>        One of those'll be one of my next purchases...
>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP
>CDs\
>\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info.

The modem you are mentioning is tha Practical Perhiperals 9600SA. I am using
one right now, on my Apple //gs. It is v.32 and v.42bis. I only know one BBS
where I can get the v.42bis connection, but it is an IBM, and ZMODEM does not
work right. File transfers at 9600 baud are a wonder to watch. It is doing what
I bought it to do, saving me time online. The only problem so far is that it
will not hang up on the 9600 baud connections. I power-cycle the modem to break
the connection. Also, due to the design of the power switch, it can not be used
on a BBS. It would have to be manually turned on after a power outage.

I am happy with it so far however.

							Rich

						-Rich-@cup.portal.com

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Dave Sim's Ugly Brother) (02/20/91)

In article <12451@darkstar.ucsc.edu] unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
]
]In article <m0j7N1x-00006fC@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
]>Yeah, forget MNP, go for V.42bis.. Supra 2400+, Roger Coat's selling for $155.
]>have to get one of those someday.
]	Fry's Electronics (in Sunnyvale, Fremont, and Palo Alto, California)
]sells 9600 baud modems for $499. I'm positive they're v.32, I think
]they're also v.42.. Not sure about v.42bis. They seemed very advanced for
]the price. Cheaper than I've ever seen 'em anywhere else, including
]mail order.

This is probably the Practical Peripherals ("we're Hayes in disguise") 9600
whic retails for $500 or so.  You might be able to find it mail order for
about $400-$450.  And if you are willing to run a BBS, the cost is $340!

(Mine should show up today).

It is V.32/V.42/V.42bis compliant

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|