[comp.sys.apple2] Demos

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (01/13/91)

If anyone has the X-MAS demo or CALIFORNIA demo from AOL, could you please
put it on comp.binaries.apple2 or mail it to me?

Thanks!

+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
|>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
|\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|
+-------------------------S-H-A-R-E-W-A-R-E-!-------------------------------+

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (01/13/91)

In article <9101121639.AA10658@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) writes:
>If anyone has the X-MAS demo or CALIFORNIA demo from AOL, could you please
>put it on comp.binaries.apple2 or mail it to me?

I have the FTA X-Mas demo.  After packing with shrinkit, the file size is
720k.  It will binscii into probably >40 entries.  I'll try to put it on
Tybalt, where one can use ftp to access it.  There's also a few easter eggs
in the demo.  The only non-obcene one is to type (all caps) SAPIN at the
main menu and enter return.  You'll see a rotating 3-D Christmas Tree.

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/17/91)

EASTER EGGS in the FTA X-mas demo??

Where?

<scratching head> Well, ummm, that note about entering "SAPIN" at the X-MAS
DEMO main menu is rather interesting... where'd you find that out?

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           | Millions long for immortality who |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     | don't know what to do on a rainy  |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   | Sunday afternoon.                 |
| AO .....: Watch this space!           |                    -- Susan Ertz  |

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (01/18/91)

In article <m0iwIR4-0000DLC@jartel.info.com> you write:
>EASTER EGGS in the FTA X-mas demo??

SAPIN, KILLKILL, and FAG

>Where?

The "snow" screen.

><scratching head> Well, ummm, that note about entering "SAPIN" at the X-MAS
>DEMO main menu is rather interesting... where'd you find that out?

Boot Copy ][+, go to block 0, do a search for bytes $00 $C0, when you find
the second occurence (block $1A?), do a disassembly listing. You'll not lots
of strange code and a check for a carriage return, after a return is
encountered, there is a loop which does a memory comparison, and each
comparison performs an EOR #$AB, so, take a look at the memory being compared,
EOR #$AB, and magically you will see the words SAPIN, KILLKILL, and FAG,
although KILLKILL is decoded slightly different.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/26/91)

... llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) writes:

><scratching head> Well, ummm, that note about entering "SAPIN" at the X-MAS
>DEMO main menu is rather interesting... where'd you find that out?

Hmm, I just noticed SAPIN is an anagram of SPAIN... perhaps FTA made a
typo in that egg?  :-)

///   ____   \\\ Lig Lury Jr. (greg@hoss.unl.edu)
| |/ /    \ \| | Megadodo Publications
 \\_( \==/ )_//  Megadodo House
     \__\\/      Ursa Minor

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan26.020605.19587@hoss.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

>Hmm, I just noticed SAPIN is an anagram of SPAIN... perhaps FTA made a
>typo in that egg?  :-)

	Nah... I spoke with one of the authors of the Xmas demo, and
he said it was the French word for christmas tree...  :)

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang	    Apple //gs forever          | Coming Soon:  |
|-----------------------------------------------|---------------|
| Internet       :  stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu |  DreamGrafix  |
| America_Online :  DWS Steve			|   3200 power  |
|_______________________________________________|_______________|

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/26/91)

From greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.):

> Hmm, I just noticed SAPIN is an anagram of SPAIN... perhaps FTA made a
> typo in that egg?  :-)

    No, how about 'sapin' ~= 'Christmas tree' in French?  It's been mentioned
before, but I thought I'd say it again in case anyone missed it the first
time.  Oh yeah, the FTA are from France...  ;)

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (02/05/91)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
>... llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) writes:
>
>><scratching head> Well, ummm, that note about entering "SAPIN" at the X-MAS
>>DEMO main menu is rather interesting... where'd you find that out?
>
>Hmm, I just noticed SAPIN is an anagram of SPAIN... perhaps FTA made a
>typo in that egg?  :-)

SAPIN is french for 'tree'.

What pops up when you type SAPIN?

Wow... what a coincidence..

Obviously someone assumed that because sapin is not an english word, that
it must be "spain"..

UGH..

---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computer easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.
And the further I get from the things that I care about...
The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/05/91)

In article <451@generic.UUCP> sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:
|SAPIN is french for 'tree'.

I thought 'arbre' was tree...

|What pops up when you type SAPIN?
|
|Wow... what a coincidence..
|
|Obviously someone assumed that because sapin is not an english word, that
|it must be "spain"..
|
|UGH..

|---
|ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computer easy, SOME HOW!
|Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
|My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
|pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.
|And the further I get from the things that I care about...
|The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/07/91)

From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang):

> In article <451@generic.UUCP> sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano)
> writes:
> |SAPIN is french for 'tree'.
>
> I thought 'arbre' was tree...

    Yes, 'arbre' means tree, mais un sapin est une type d'arbre.  Commonly
used to mean a Christmas tree.

(sorry about mixing the two languages... ;)

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/08/91)

In article <463@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang):
>    Yes, 'arbre' means tree, mais un sapin est une type d'arbre.  Commonly
>used to mean a Christmas tree.

Ah, I see. The prof in my French class never did teach us about those things.
We learned more useful words, like "merdre" (pardon my French :-)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (02/16/91)

... daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>... sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

>>SAPIN is french for 'tree'.
>>What pops up when you type SAPIN?
>>Wow... what a coincidence..
>>Obviously someone assumed that because sapin is not an english word, that
>>it must be "spain"..

I plead guilty.  (However, I hadn't run the demo at the time, nor do I
speak/read/grok French.)

--
///   ____   \\\ DON'T      \"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?"  "I think
| |/ /    \ \| |      PANIC  \ that you should restrict that sort of remark to
 \\_( \==/ )_// Lig Lury, Jr. \ something artistic."  "You sound as if I just
     \__\\/ greg@hoss.unl.edu  \ said something unspeakably rude."  "You did."

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/20/91)

	Are there any other Eggs in the XMas demo? I liked the tree one.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM