[comp.sys.apple2] Setting up the new archive site

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (02/21/91)

Well folks, I just received authorization to start setting up the successor
to the Apple ][ FTP site at the University of Michigan.  This will be on
a unix file server, so we get a heirarchical file structure and longer
and meaningful names.  I believe this will be one of the largest sites
for Apple ][ stuff, so I want some thought to go into the structure
to make it very easy to use.

So, I'm taking suggestions.  Do you want 8 bit and 16 bit split at the
top?  That would be like:

            !Read.me
            //8bit
            IIgs       (or something like this)

with each having their own sound, graphics, games categories, etc.

Or, I could set it up functionally (utilities, sounds, docs, etc.) and
then split it up lower.

Many of the sites that currently have Apple stuff do both approaches
to some extent.  And, if you have suggestions as to some different
approach that you think would be good, that's fine, too.
So, send me a note if you have suggestions.

On a related note:  The !Index file at UMMTS.CC.UMICH.EDU has
finally been updated after two years.  Much thanks goes out to
the people who spent many hours helping me put this together.

    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

meekins@apple.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (02/21/91)

In article <7742528@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

<snip>

>On a related note:  The !Index file at UMMTS.CC.UMICH.EDU has
>finally been updated after two years.  Much thanks goes out to
>the people who spent many hours helping me put this together.

One comment, How about getting rid of those pesky '!' in the filenames.
My Unix shell doesn't like them. I can only access the files after
DLing by using wildcards, such as *Index instead of !Index.

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|