[comp.sys.apple2] Sound files

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/18/91)

In article <7024@crash.cts.com> khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) writes:

>        A big discussion arose about having the GS play a continous sound
>file.  I use ACER for my digitized sound file playing, and I have loaded up a
>Star Trek digitization, 578 prodos blocks long and it plays it with no
>difficulties.  Maybe getting the program and asking for some source code form
>the authors might shed some light on it...

578 prodos blocks is "only" 289K, which isn't too much if you have 1.25Megs
or so. The discussion was about playing very long sound files, which don't
fit into your RAM. Suppose you have a sound that takes up 4Megs, but you
only have 1.25Megs on your machine. How do you play it?

Anyways, I just finished my long sound file player, and it works rather
well. It's been improved to have a desktop interface (takes a long time
to load all those tools, but it is easy to use). It only requires a 64K
block of memory, plus ~2K for the program and a couple of hundred for the
GS/OS. I think it should work on a 512K machine, and definitely on a 768K
one.

Now digitizing the long files in one session might be trickier, since
disk operations would slow down the digitization and cause nasty distortions.
Maybe someone could make a digitizer with its own ram, so it wouldn't have
to interrupt so often.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (02/22/91)

       Anyone know if there is anyplace to get really huge sound files?
 1 or more Meg large?  Just inquiring.

      BTW....to all the people that get really staticy samples w/ a Sonic
 Blaster....Mine come out great, without a pop or wistle and I didn't do
 a thing to it.  I do have the problem with samples being recorded just
 a tad bit slow though.  Does anyone know if AE has made any upgrades to
 the SB software?  I didn't send in my registration card so of course I
 have never been notified!  I have this pain in the butt bug that wont
 let me save as raw data right after I sample a sound.  I have to save in
 AE format, quit, re-run the SB soft, reload the AE format file and then
 save as Raw data!  What-a-pain!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!