[comp.sys.apple2] File Sys chars

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (02/21/91)

 > >On a related note:  The !Index file at UMMTS.CC.UMICH.EDU has
 > >finally been updated after two years.  Much thanks goes out to
 > >the people who spent many hours helping me put this together.
 >
 > One comment, How about getting rid of those pesky '!' in the filenames.
 > My Unix shell doesn't like them. I can only access the files after
 > DLing by using wildcards, such as *Index instead of !Index.

Sorry, no can do.  That's the standard char we use to differentiate
between regular files in the archives and the archive maintenance files.

But, you can always type GET "!Index" and your Unix system will pass the
line on exactly to the other file system as per the RFC.

 > --
 > +---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
 > |/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
 > |>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
 > |\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|

    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (02/22/91)

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

[and before that, Tim meekins wrote:]
>> One comment, How about getting rid of those pesky '!' in the filenames.
>> My Unix shell doesn't like them. I can only access the files after
>> DLing by using wildcards, such as *Index instead of !Index.
>Sorry, no can do.  That's the standard char we use to differentiate
>between regular files in the archives and the archive maintenance files.

Todd, did you ever work for the Department of Motor Vehicles?  :-)

Either the differentiation is done by humans, in which case you can change the
character to something more unix-friendly, or it's machine-differentiated, in
which case you can change (if it's well-written) ONE CHARACTER and switch to
something more unix-friendly.

Other than the fact that ! has a special meaning under most shells, I guess
there's nothing formally preventing you from using it with the new archive
under Unix; besides, you'll quickly become a whiz at all the nuances of
quoting metacharacters in the shell.  Hope it doesn't interfere too much with
getting work done. :)

>But, you can always type GET "!Index" and your Unix system will pass the
>line on exactly to the other file system as per the RFC.

Also, if you specify a filename after the name of the file you're getting,
ftp will save it under that filename locally.  Better yet, just type

get "!Index" " | more"      or
get "!Index" " | grep -i TelcomGS"

and don't bother saving the list on your local machine at all...

>>Tim Meekins
>    Todd A. Bakal

Rob
Robert C. Knauerhase        "Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced
U of Ill @ Urbana-Champaign  in 1980, the 'experts' have been saying the Apple
Dept. of Computer Science    II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't
knauer@cs.uiuc.edu           kill it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the
rck@ces.cwru.edu             128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some people never learn."
knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov                      -- Tom Weishaar

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (02/22/91)

In article <7753368@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

[...]
> > One comment, How about getting rid of those pesky '!' in the filenames.
> > My Unix shell doesn't like them. I can only access the files after
> > DLing by using wildcards, such as *Index instead of !Index.
> >

>But, you can always type GET "!Index" and your Unix system will pass the
>line on exactly to the other file system as per the RFC.
>
>    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:

Or you can escape the !'s with a \ which works just fine for me (csh user).
The neat thing about Unix is there is always more than one way to do some-
thing, unlike some other computers and operating systems.
--
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada