[comp.sys.apple2] Apple III disk format

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) (02/20/91)

I'm trying to find out if Apple III (?!?) disks can be read by an Apple II
or Apple II emulator? I have a friend with a dead Apple III and I'm trying
to see if there's a way for him to get his data off his disks and onto
whatever machine he replaces it with. Could a IIgs read those disks?

-- Brian Feinberg

Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!brian

In article <2958@cirrusl.UUCP> brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:
>I'm trying to find out if Apple III (?!?) disks can be read by an Apple II
>or Apple II emulator? I have a friend with a dead Apple III and I'm trying
>to see if there's a way for him to get his data off his disks and onto
>whatever machine he replaces it with. Could a IIgs read those disks?

	I know that SOS and ProDOS are very similar. I believe that they
are so similar that Apple IIs which can run ProDOS can also read Apple ///
disks.

	(I know that some of the filetypes in ProDOS are for Apple /// files)

	So just stick 'em in a 5.25" drive on an Apple and read 'em...

[As a totally off the wall note for other people reading this, someone else
and I had a hell of a time converting some Magic Window files to a Mac disk!
Unfortunately it turned out to be someone traitoring from the II to a Mac,
but it was still interesting... They did it at one of our labs which has
6 very brain damaged GSes {i.e. most likely ROM 0 and definitely only 256K}
.. They also don't have much software... But they found Copy II Plus, moved
the files from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS.. Then we thought it'd just be easy to move
'em to MacOS with Apple File Exchange, fiddle with the filetype on the
Mac, and read 'em into Word.. right? Well it wasn't that easy..
They ended up having the 8th bit set, and we didn't realize that at first..
So they came up garbage in Word... Then we moved them to UNIX, and had UNIX
do the conversions with a simple translate script.. then BACK to the Mac...
God NCSA telnet even lets you ftp from Mac -> UNIX. cool]
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (02/21/91)

As far as I know, the SOS disk format is exactly the same as the
ProDOS disk format.

So much so that on ProDOS formatted disks, there is usually both a
ProDOS boot block AND an SOS boot block.

Yeah, you should be able to get the information off the disks.  Dunno
anything about converting them.

Brendan G. Hoar                      bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Apartment 1                          Caregie Mellon, Inc.
357 Melwood Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 621-8278

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (02/21/91)

You're in luck.  Apple III's used an operating system called SOS (Sophisticated
Operating System).  It is completely file structure compatible with
Apple ]['s ProDOS, so any file can be read or written to an Apple III disk.
In fact, if you have any 3-EZ Pieces files, they can be read directly
by AppleWorks, since 3-EZ Pieces was the precursor to Appleworks.  Have fun.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/21/91)

Considering that ProDOS and SOS (the Apple III's OS) use the same disk
format, I see no reason why you couldn't stick Apple III disks in any
Apple II and read the files.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

jeffb@world.std.com (Jeffrey T Berntsen) (02/22/91)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:

>Considering that ProDOS and SOS (the Apple III's OS) use the same disk
>format, I see no reason why you couldn't stick Apple III disks in any
>Apple II and read the files.

You can.  I've done it with a number of Apple III disks.  You should even be
able to take a ProFile that's been formatted and used on an Apple III and read
it on a ][ once you get the right interface card.  (That's just a theory
though.  I haven't actually tried it.)  ProDOS has EXACTLY the same logical
and physical disk format as SOS did on the III's.  That's not to say that once
you do read the disks that the _files_ will be of any use to you.  Text files
are text files.  You should be able to read them with no problem.  Pascal
type source/text files should be in the same format as Apple Pascal files
are in (broken up into 2k segments, I think).  You should be able to read and
use 3 EZ Pieces files directly.  They're exactly the same as Appleworks V 1.0
format files.  'FOTO' files are just Hi-Res screen images and are described
in an Apple File Type Technote someplace.  Anything else will probably pose
a problem.  (Speaking of which, does anyone out there have a description
of the internal tokenized format of Business Basic files?)
Jeff Berntsen                       | Looking for a good .sig
jeffb@world.std.com                 |