[comp.sys.apple2] .tar

GWO144@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (08/08/90)

     How does one unpack .TAR files?  I have a IIgs and I am on this list
 on a CMS machine.  I guess .TAR is a UNIX packer?  Anyway...any and all
 info would be helpful.

                                 Andy
                                 UCI137 at URIACC

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/09/90)

GWO144@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:

>     How does one unpack .TAR files?  I have a IIgs and I am on this list
> on a CMS machine.  I guess .TAR is a UNIX packer?  Anyway...any and all
> info would be helpful.

I think you mean VMS (?)

tar is a unix _archive_ utility. It doesn't pack or compress anything.

If you have a tar file containing binscii data chunks (the tybalt.caltech.edu
FTP server has a number of these) then you don't need tar at all. Binscii can
extract its data straight out of a tar file.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) (08/09/90)

some time in the next week or two I will be releasing my port of GNUtar... this
will fully support the tar format
--

                                   -Cary
                                   (.sig pending)

marekp@contact.UUCP (Marek Pawlowski) (08/09/90)

   Files suffixed with .tar, are recognized as an archive of files on a
Unix system.  It is files simple joined together in to one.  To retrieve
the files, you use:  tar xvf file_name
   This will remove the files from that archive, in to the current directory.
Other common suffixes are ".Z" and ".zoo", the first is Unix compressed, you
uncompress by simply using: uncompress file_name
   The "-e" option on the zoo utility on most Unix systems will remove and
"unpack" any files in the archive...

              Marek Pawlowski
   root@aunix.uucp     "In official order       |Intelligent Twist Software
   marekp@contact.uucp  of preference, please   |250 Harding Blvd.
   marekp@generic.uucp  send any mail to the    |P.O.  Box 32017
   marekp@pnet91.uucp   addresses listed here"  |Richmond Hill, Ontario
        University of Nowhere Special           |L4C 9M7, CANADA

"Send lawsuits, complaints, grudges, flames, sacrificial animals, and
 court orders to the addresses listed below:"

bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (08/11/90)

In article <m0i0CWL-0001AJC@contact.uucp>, marekp@contact.UUCP (Marek
Pawlowski) writes:
|> [...]
|>    This will remove the files from that archive, in to the current
directory.
|> Other common suffixes are ".Z" and ".zoo", the first is Unix compressed, you
                                       ^^^^
  Not quite... .zoo or .ZOO is an MS-DOS format.  Unix may support it if you
or your system admin have ported the ZOO source code.  Using uncompress on
a .ZOO file wont work (at least not on any un/compress programs Ive ever
run across)...

|> uncompress by simply using: uncompress file_name
|>    The "-e" option on the zoo utility on most Unix systems will remove and
|> "unpack" any files in the archive...

  I dont know about a lot of other Unix users but our SYSV and BSD 4.3 systems
here do not have a -e option... Guess yours is special...

						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com)

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/12/90)

>   Not quite... .zoo or .ZOO is an MS-DOS format.  Unix may support
> it if you or your system admin have ported the ZOO source code.
> Using uncompress on a .ZOO file wont work (at least not on any
> un/compress programs Ive ever run across)...

However, there is an UNZOO program for the Apple II (as well as UNARC and
UNZIP)...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

marekp@contact.UUCP (Marek Pawlowski) (08/12/90)

Bruce Kahn says some stuff about .zoo & .ZOO:

I merely insinuated that it is used on Unix sites as well.

Bruce Kahn - Re: "-e" flag

Oh did I ever goof.  It's either:

zoo -extract filename.zoo
         or
zoo e filename.zoo {note: no "-"}

Sorry for any confusion..

              Marek Pawlowski
   root@aunix.uucp     "In official order       |Intelligent Twist Software
   marekp@contact.uucp  of preference, please   |250 Harding Blvd.
   marekp@generic.uucp  send any mail to the    |P.O.  Box 32017
   marekp@pnet91.uucp   addresses listed here"  |Richmond Hill, Ontario
        University of Nowhere Special           |L4C 9M7, CANADA

"Send lawsuits, complaints, grudges, flames, sacrificial animals, and
 court orders to the addresses listed below:"

UCI137@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy) (08/13/90)

     BTW....What is GNU?  I see it everywhere on FTP sites and have always
 wondered...

                                      Andy Kress
                                      UCI137 at URIACC

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) (08/14/90)

In article <9008121708.AA05521@apple.com> UCI137@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy) writes:

>     BTW....What is GNU?  I see it everywhere on FTP sites and have always
> wondered...
>

>                                      Andy Kress
>                                      UCI137 at URIACC

  GNU stands for Gnu's not UNIX.  its a philosophy..

  I'm not qualified to go into details about it, but I'm sure you could
catch all you'd want to know about it on a *.unix newsgroup..

--
._o        --  Frank Lemire [zippo] --     zippo@contact.uucp [PREF]
  4        ---------------------------  !uunet.uu.net!contact!zippo

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (08/14/90)

>  BTW....What is GNU?  I see it everywhere on FTP sites and have always
>  wondered...

GNU's a free UNIX replacement, with source code.  GNU stands for GNU's Not
UNIX...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond           |  "Where knowledge ends,
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil  |                      Religion begins"
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com         |         - Benjamin Disraeli

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (02/22/91)

    What is it and how do I unpack a file with the .tar extension?  I
 do NOT have access to a unix machine.  I have to unpack it on my GS.
 Is this possible?  Specifically, I wanted to check out emacs for the
 GS which happens to be .tar.Z .  GSHK will take care of the Z but
 what about the tar.  Thanks in advance!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/23/91)

In article <9102212124.AA24505@apple.com> PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:
>    What is it and how do I unpack a file with the .tar extension?  I
> do NOT have access to a unix machine.  I have to unpack it on my GS.
> Is this possible?  Specifically, I wanted to check out emacs for the
> GS which happens to be .tar.Z .  GSHK will take care of the Z but
> what about the tar.  Thanks in advance!

I think you may be able to obtain a free implementation of an archiver
that understands "tar" format from the GNU project, but in any case
the "tar" archive format is really quite simple:  The contained files
are not compressed in any way, and each is preceded by a 512-byte header
the first 100 bytes of which contain the file name in ASCIZ.  The file
size in bytes is contained in the 12 characters of the header starting
at byte number 124 (0 origin).  That is enough information to allow you
to write a little program that unpacks most "tar" archives.  Be sure to
handle errors gracefully and to precreate any subdirectories that you
might need to hold the extracted files, or else you'll have problems
when the first nonexistent directory is encountered in the archive.