[comp.sys.apple2] BinSCII-TERM wanted

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (02/18/91)

While FTPing files, sending them ASCII, then running BinSCII, I had an
idea.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a version of BinSCII that was
capable of accepting BinSCII files from the modem?  With something like
that, I could do something like:

%> ftp tybalt.caltech.edu
Connected to tybalt.caltech.edu.
220 truebalt FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
Name (tybalt.caltech.edu:greg): anonymous
Password (tybalt.caltech.edu:anonymous):
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/apple2/demos
250 CWD command successful.

ftp> get modulae.bsq /dev/pty/ttys2

...and have the remote file be sent to me without being kept as a file on
my account, speeding up the transfer, and with a BinSCII-TERM, have it
automatically start extracting the .SHK archive from the .bsq file.  Just
wait for the FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt, capture, and decode.

It won't need any fancy features like VT-100 emulation or anything like
that.  A ProDOS 8 application, CDA, or NDA would be preferable, in that
order.  Well, a CDA would be more useful for my usage, but compatibility
with older machines is a consideration. :-)  With VT-100, it might become
a more widely used program, as would a standard copy buffer help, but
isn't immediately necessary.  Compatibility with a wide range of modems is
definitely necessary.  (Mine, BTW, is a DataLink 2400 internal.)

Anyone up for the challenge, or is it a completely stupid idea from
someone who obviously doesn't know the intricacies of the BinSCII format?
Assume a nice, noiseless phone line.

Alternatively, is there a better way of just doing the "get file.bsq
/dev/[pty/]tty??" in an HP/UX environment?  Something that doesn't require
me to know exactly where and which tty I'm connected to.

--
///   ____   \\\ DON'T      \"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?"  "I think
| |/ /    \ \| |      PANIC  \ that you should restrict that sort of remark to
 \\_( \==/ )_// Lig Lury, Jr. \ something artistic."  "You sound as if I just
     \__\\/ greg@hoss.unl.edu  \ said something unspeakably rude."  "You did."

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (02/23/91)

... greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) [Yup, that's me] writes:

>... is there a better way of just doing the "get file.bsq /dev/[pty/]tty??"
>in an HP/UX environment?  Something that doesn't require me to know exactly
>where and which tty I'm connected to.

Ah, I found out that you can use - as the destination file to make the
output go to the screen instead of a file, so I don't need any more help
with that.  However, I am still interested in something that could receive
a BinSCII archive and decode it as well directly from the modem.