[comp.sys.apple2] printing HGR screens from basic

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (02/18/91)

	How does one print HGR screens to a printer from basic?  Specifically
an Imagewriter II from a IIgs?   Thanks.

				Ken Morton
				v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (02/18/91)

By writing a program (usually in assembly; it could be done in BASIC
but would be slow) to read the Hi-Res screen, translate the
one-pixel-high but nonlinearly-mapped (read: pain in the neck) format
of the hi-res screen to the linear but 8 pixels high at a time format
needed for printing (read: fast but requires some work in advance) and
then put the necessary graphic-mode headers on the thing and dump it
to the printer.  I know people have done this, but I can't think of
any programs offhand.  It's a nontrivial task, and one you probably
don't want to write code for in BASIC.  Have fun.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/18/91)

don't forget, the bits on the screen are aligned horizontally,
while the printer prints vertical bytes, so there's a good
bit of screwing around there. as for the "nonlinearly wrapped"
stuff, that's fairly easy to take care of with the bascalc
routine.

And then you have to worry about aspect ratios.

Now, if you have a printer interface like the venerable grappler
you can just send a control-I G to the printer (actually the interface)
and let IT worry about it for you :-)

mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com (Mike Fleming) (02/19/91)

It is impossible to print any graphics screen from BASIC.  You need to
write an assembly language subroutine.

Well, maybe I should rephrase that.  Yes, you CAN print an HGR picture from
BASIC.  But it would require an incredible amount of POKE's and PEEKS.

Mike Fleming
----
ProLine:  mikef@pro-harvest
Internet: mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-harvest!mikef
ARPA:     crash!pro-harvest!mikef@nosc.mil

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (02/23/91)

as far as i know it is impossible to print an HGR screen from basic.
the reason is simple. BASIC can ONLY use 7 bits. the eighth bit would
always be cut off (i think bit 8 is allways 0). therefore, you would
need to write an assembly routine because then you can do whatever you
want (and isn't that nice).

albert