[comp.sys.apple2] Buggy 5.04

TSEAL@ALASKA.BITNET ("The Spanish Inquisition") (02/14/91)

I had a talk with my dealer lately and told him that I had recently
downloaded system 5.04.  However, he showed some concern, as there is
an apparent 'buggy' copy out from Apple.  So far I have had no problem
with the system that I downloaded from apple.com, but I am curious
to the details of this other system 5.04.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/14/91)

TSEAL@ALASKA.BITNET ("The Spanish Inquisition") writes:

>I had a talk with my dealer lately and told him that I had recently
>downloaded system 5.04.  However, he showed some concern, as there is
>an apparent 'buggy' copy out from Apple.  So far I have had no problem
>with the system that I downloaded from apple.com, but I am curious
>to the details of this other system 5.04.

He might have been talking about 5.03, which was buggy and was a stopgap
release on the developer's CD "Night of the Living Disc" that included
beta copies of Hypercard IIgs.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

schiffer@stsci.EDU (Skip Schiffer) (02/14/91)

In addition there was some problems with the files which were stored
on Apple.com, but I believe that problem has been fixed.  If you were
successful in downloading the files and bringing them up the system
should be as good as any version of 5.0.4.  {my opinion only} Skip

--
| F. H. Schiffer 3rd              |                            |
| schiffer@stsci.edu              | I speak for myself alone.  |

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (02/15/91)

In article <9102140418.AA06883@apple.com> TSEAL@ALASKA.BITNET ("The Spanish Inquisition") writes:
>I had a talk with my dealer lately and told him that I had recently
>downloaded system 5.04.  However, he showed some concern, as there is
>an apparent 'buggy' copy out from Apple.  So far I have had no problem
>with the system that I downloaded from apple.com, but I am curious
>to the details of this other system 5.04.

I have 5.0.4 and I haven't had anyproblems with it.  A word to the wise though.
Unless you really know this dealer, I wouldn't put too much stock into what he
says.  I have had many bad experiences with apple dealers.  I ought to tell
everyone a story sometime about when I went to get a system disk update (this
was long before I had a modem and net access) I haven't been back to a dealer
since that time!

Platkus

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/24/91)

	I think your dealer means 5.0.3 is buggy.  You have to expect
these dealers to be incompetent. (Apple made a big deal about 5.0.3 being
buggy.)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM