[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS Error code $51

trm@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Tom Madigan x3438) (02/22/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Error $51
Expires:
I'm currently unable to add or delete files from either partition
on my hard disk. The error code I'm getting is "Error code 51" which
(I think)translates into a screwed up directory table(number of entries
!= number of files).

Is there a utility out there that can help me salvage this?

				-trm

Config: Rom 1 GS, 2 MB Ram, 40 Mb Inner Drive, OS 5.0.2

UUCP: uunet!leafusa!trm					Tom Madigan
Internet: trm@HQ.Ileaf.COM				Interleaf, Inc.
							Prospect Place
							9 Hillside Avenue
							Waltham, MA 02154

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/23/91)

trm@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Tom Madigan x3438) writes:

>I'm currently unable to add or delete files from either partition
>on my hard disk. The error code I'm getting is "Error code 51" which
>(I think)translates into a screwed up directory table(number of entries
>!= number of files).

What a coincidence ... I just got done de-fluffing my hard drive of that
type off error... by any chance did you do some large directory (as in LOTS
of files) copies recently?

>Is there a utility out there that can help me salvage this?

Well, the only commercial thing I know of is Bag of Tricks, but it's pretty
archaic and doesn't support any of the GS specific changes to prodos. In fact,
it's damn annoying because it stops you on every file that has lower case
characters in the filename (which is legal because those bits were reserved
when BOT was written).

over the last few days I've written a prodos file system integrity checker
and repair help package, in Orca/C and designed to use the I/O redirection
of the shell. The integrity checker is automatic, but the rest of the
utilities are very hands on and you'll need to be familiar with prodos disk
structures to use them properly. The repairs I did last night (all last night)
were conceptually simple but nontrivial from a software perspective -- it is
NOT easy to write a utility that will automatically figure out what's happened
when the only symptom is that the index block was never written to disk. I'm
convinced that there is a really subtle bug in the prodos FST and how it
handles write-deferred filesystem blocks. I am using 5.0.4 and have been since
before the last time the problem manifested itself (a backup/reformat done to
salvage data damaged by exactly the same anomaly!!).

If anyone is interested, mail me -- if there are enough requests I will put
a more complete description on the net.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) (02/23/91)

In <1991Feb21.164213.16068@HQ.Ileaf.COM> trm@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Tom Madigan x3438) writes:

>I'm currently unable to add or delete files from either partition
>on my hard disk. The error code I'm getting is "Error code 51" which
>(I think)translates into a screwed up directory table(number of entries
>!= number of files).

>Is there a utility out there that can help me salvage this?

ProSel Volume Repair works wonders on things like that.  It's
available from Programs Plus (1-800-832-3201) for $45 (I think).  Give
that a shot.

Good luck!

--
Dj Padzensky
Internet: djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu | Neurotics build castles in the sky.

randy@Oswego.EDU (Randy Fromm) (02/24/91)

I had a similar problem when first setting up my hard-disk under GSOS... I
had made the mistake of copying some files to the hard disk using something
other than the operating system (such as Copy II+ version 9).  I read
something about it here shortly after having to "rebuild" my harddisk for
the umpteenth time...  This is the first I've heard of it since then.

randy@oswego.oswego.edu

In article <27C58213.20968@ics.uci.edu> djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) writes:
>In <1991Feb21.164213.16068@HQ.Ileaf.COM> trm@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Tom Madigan x3438) writes:
>
>>I'm currently unable to add or delete files from either partition
>>on my hard disk. The error code I'm getting is "Error code 51" which
>>(I think)translates into a screwed up directory table(number of entries
>>!= number of files).
>
>>Is there a utility out there that can help me salvage this?
>
>ProSel Volume Repair works wonders on things like that.  It's
>available from Programs Plus (1-800-832-3201) for $45 (I think).  Give
>that a shot.
>
>Good luck!

I agree here... This is ultimately what I had to go to.  Though the version
of ProSEL that I had at the time was not GSOS compatible.  I ended up
buying the version that was and have had *NO* regrets...

GOOD LUCK...

randy@oswego.oswego.edu