[comp.sys.apple2] Public Domain Software

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/25/91)

In article <13175@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mcgovern@handel.cs.colostate.edu (michael sea mcgovern) writes:
>I recently got a catalog from Beagle Brothers that lists a number
>of programs they used to sell that have been released into the
>public domain.  They give a number for their BBS, where these
>programs can be downloaded.  Beagle Brothers usually put out some
>pretty good software, but I haven't heard of most of these.
>Rather than get the stuff longdistance from Colorado I was
>wondering if someone in the 619 area code (San Diego I believe)
>would be willing to download it, and post it to the net.  I am
>sure it would be of use to a great many users.  If anyone is
>interested send me mail for the phone number.  Thanks.  Later.

Their policy on these programs may have changed, but last time I
checked, they weren't in the public domain, but were free for
downloading. However, you aren't allowed to upload the files anywhere
else.

The programs they have over there are very interesting, but most of
are limited use these days, since most of the neat stuff works with
DOS 3.3 only.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/26/91)

Wasn't a big stink raised here about a year and a half ago when Beagle
Bros (_not_ "Beagle Brothers") first made their older stuff available
on Pro-Beagle?

1) It's not PD.  It's freeware.  PD != Freeware.
2) It can't be posted to comp.binaries or uploaded to an FTP site.
   The only place where you can download it for "free" is directly
   from Pro-Beagle.  (Some of the commercial services, such as GEnie,
   also have the Beagle Classics.)  Your local Beagle Buddy might have
   these programs available.

(Maybe this should go in the FAQ if it isn't already there.)

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?