13 Phase 3          13 +12v
14 Phase 4          14 Drive Enable
15 Write request    15 +12v
16 Head select      16 Read data
17 Drive 2 enable   17 +12v
18 Read data        18 Write data
19 Write data       19 +12v
                    20 Write protect

These are the pin outs of the two different drives

ProLine:  richm@pro-berks
Internet: richm@pro-berks.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-berks!richm
ARPA:     crash!pro-berks!richm@nosc.mil
Bitnet:   richm%pro-berks.cts.com@nosc.mil

pro-berks--215/929-4315--A free public access Proline system.

richm@pro-berks.cts.com (Rich Mlodoch) (02/20/91)

Smartport     Apple ][ disk

1 --|         |-- 1
2 --+---------+-- 3
3 --|         |-- 5
              |-- 7
4 n.c.
5 --------------- 9

6 ------------|-- 11
              |-- 12

7 --+---------|-- 13
8 --|         +-- 15
              |-- 17
              |-- 19

9 --------------- 14 First Drive
10 -------------- 20
11 -------------- 2
12 -------------- 4
13 -------------- 6
14 -------------- 8
15 -------------- 10
16 n.c.
17 -------------- 14 Second Drive
18 -------------- 16
19 -------------- 18

This is the wiring needed between the Smartport and TWO disk ][ drives.
Connections from the smartport to the disk ]['s need to go to BOTH drives,
except to pin 14. As noted above, pin 14 of the first and second drives go to
different pins on the smartport. Feel free to hook it up any way you want.
Be careful in your wiring. This is the way I wired it. ** I take NO
responisiblity for how YOU use this information **

ProLine:  richm@pro-berks
Internet: richm@pro-berks.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-berks!richm
ARPA:     crash!pro-berks!richm@nosc.mil
Bitnet:   richm%pro-berks.cts.com@nosc.mil

pro-berks--215/929-4315--A free public access Proline system.

richm@pro-berks.cts.com (Rich Mlodoch) (02/20/91)

I receive some mail from folks who wanted to know how to hook up two disk ][
drives to a smartport. Here's how I did it. Building the cable is pretty easy.
I used a small Radio Shack poject board. I mounted two 20 pin headers on th
project board (this is where you will plug in your disk ][ drives), they are
about 1.5 in. apart. They must be mounted so that you can solder wires to the
foil pads. I mounted mine on the foil pad side. I then bent the pins back up
through to the foil pad side from the non foil pad side that they stuck down
through to and I soldered them in place. The end result is that you have two
headers mounted so that you have two or three pads for each pin to make
connections to. I up to you how you do it. Jumper wires should now be used to
interconnect pins 1 to 20 on header 1 to 1 to 20 to header 2 , EXCEPT FOR PIN
14. DO NOT INTERCONNECT THE TWO PIN 14s. Using a 5 or 6 in piece of 20
conductor ribbon wire make te following connections between your board and a
DB19 male connector. I will give the pins in the following order: DB19 - Your
board ::: 1 - 1, 2 - 3, 3 - 5, 5 - 9, 6 - 11, 7 - 13, 8 - 15, 9 - 14 of header
#1, 10 - 20, 11 - 2, 12 - 4, 13 - 6, 14 - 8, 15 -10, 17 - 14 of header #2, 18
- 16, 19 - 18. Note that pin 14 is the only pin that is not interconnected.
This is the drive enable signal. It needs to come from two different places to
enable two different drives. BE CAREFUL making your cable. CHECK all
connections. I highly recommend this cable be made by someone with some

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (02/23/91)

In <7684@crash.cts.com> johnw@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Withers) writes:

>What about using a 'duo-disk'?

The "Duo-Disk" has the appropriate connector already.  That's why. :-)

--
///   ____   \\\ DON'T      \"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?"  "I think
| |/ /    \ \| |      PANIC  \ that you should restrict that sort of remark to
 \\_( \==/ )_// Lig Lury, Jr. \ something artistic."  "You sound as if I just
     \__\\/ greg@hoss.unl.edu  \ said something unspeakably rude."  "You did."

johnw@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Withers) (02/26/91)

>>What about using a 'duo-disk'?

>The "Duo-Disk" has the appropriate connector already.  >That's why. :-)

Does the correct connector imply that the device will be functional,
and under what conditions will it work.

John
    Withers

<johnw@pro-harvest>