[comp.sys.apple2] Monitor Noise...A solution, a guess.

HB03932@SWTEXAS.BITNET (02/26/91)

        To all of the users that are having problems with the noise
that is generated by your monitors, here is a little information
about a similar problem that I had.  I used to have that monitor
"squeal", and to alleviate the problem when it got REAL bad, I would
turn the monitor off for a few minutes, then turn it back on.
Usually the noise would be a little quieter, and/or it would be a
different pitch.  About a month ago I asked for help about my system
hanging at random times, after running for random periods of time.
One of the suggestions was that the ADB Bus may be fried, the other
was that the power supply was going out. My cheapest solution was to
purchase a new power supply, which I did (AE's Heavy Duty Power Supply).
Anyway, after reading the multiple number of posts about the monitor
noise, I would like to inform you that my "noise" has now quit, ever
since I installed the new power supply.  My suggestion would be to check
the connection of the power supply to motherboard, or check out the
power supply itself.  Does anyone who is having the noise problem have
one of the older Apple Power Supplies?  I would like to see if there may
be a correlation between the age/type of the supply to the problems of
noise.  Also, does anyone still have the information laying around about
Apple's offer to replace the "defective" older power supplies with a new
one?  Does anyone think that I could possibly get Apple to reimburse me
for my old one?  And to those that are looking into a new power supply,
I would highly recommend AE's power supply, it is nice, especially for
those that have highly used systems with lots of accessories.

Harold J. Bruce
Computer Resource Director - Health Professions
Southwest Texas State University
(512) 245-2532

"My opinions are my own, no matter what anyone else says.  AND, I am
in no way affiliated with AE, I just like their products."

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (02/26/91)

In article <9102252144.AA11110@apple.com> HB03932@SWTEXAS.BITNET writes:
>noise.  Also, does anyone still have the information laying around about
>Apple's offer to replace the "defective" older power supplies with a new
>one?  Does anyone think that I could possibly get Apple to reimburse me
>for my old one?  And to those that are looking into a new power supply,
>I would highly recommend AE's power supply, it is nice, especially for
>those that have highly used systems with lots of accessories.

I, unfortunately, just threw my letter away. I believe the offer is
good until (and only until, after that its gone!) June 1. It covered
repairs or replacement of an Apple product, not AE (a "competitor").
A friend of mine had his power supply go bad, so since it really
brought the price of a Vulcan down, he went that route. Now he tried to
get at least some $$ back on the power supply, and I don't think there
have been too many "yes"s. If you just bought the power supply, it may
be different story. He would have never bought the Vulcan if he hadn't
needed the power supply, (because it was expensive) but he likes it
and didn't expect to get any money back anyway. BTW: with the Vulcan,
you don't need a SCSI card, and it adds the heavy duty power supply.
I bought one *before* my supply went bad! (anyone wanna buy it?)

>Harold J. Bruce
>Computer Resource Director - Health Professions
>Southwest Texas State University
>(512) 245-2532

Dan

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/26/91)

Ahh... power supplies have been known to squeal from time to time
for various reasons. This is especially true with switching power
supplies (and with these, the intensity and frequency of the squeal
can vary depending on the load). Most CRT-type devices (tv's, monitors)
whine at 16-20khz, too high for many adults to hear but very annoying
to some (those who can tell whether or not a tv is on from the next
room, for example), and at varying volume levels.

Additionally, any electronic equipment could radiate enough to
interfere with the operation of other electronic equipment. This is
sometimes fun. My //e monitor causes an annoying whine on an AM
radio, while my //c's does not. However, running certain programs
on the //c causes little blips of various sounds on the radio.
And sometimes when I'm on the modem the cordless phone kind of
half-rings, sounding very odd.