[comp.sys.apple2] Apple ][ beep parameters

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (02/22/91)

Who out there remembers the parameters (preferably frequency and duration)
of the original Apple ][+ or //e beep?

    I seem to remember 1000Hz for .1 s, but that doesn't sound right when I
set it up as the beep on a workstation [hint for the X Windows users out
there -- "xset -b 50 1000 100"].

Rob
Robert C. Knauerhase        "Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced
U of Ill @ Urbana-Champaign  in 1980, the 'experts' have been saying the Apple
Dept. of Computer Science    II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't
knauer@cs.uiuc.edu           kill it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the
rck@ces.cwru.edu             128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some people never learn."
knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov                      -- Tom Weishaar

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/22/91)

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:

>Who out there remembers the parameters (preferably frequency and duration)
>of the original Apple ][+ or //e beep?

Apple // Reference Manual, page 31:

"The tone has a frequency of 100Hz and lasts for 1/10th of a second."

Now when is somebody going to make a GS IRQ-able beep that sounds like
the original Apple beep AND sounds right at any speed? Or do I have to
do it?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb22.023012.1270@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>
>>Who out there remembers the parameters (preferably frequency and duration)
>>of the original Apple ][+ or //e beep?
>
>Apple // Reference Manual, page 31:
>
>"The tone has a frequency of 100Hz and lasts for 1/10th of a second."
>
>Now when is somebody going to make a GS IRQ-able beep that sounds like
>the original Apple beep AND sounds right at any speed? Or do I have to
>do it?
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

You have to do it.  No one else cares too much.  B->

I'm just glad they got rid of that bell on the GS and let you fiddle
with the frequency and pitch of it.

BTW, the original post I think said something about the Sun not sounding
the same even though the frequency & duration were the same.  Could be
that they don't use a square wave or a crummy little speaker to generate
their sound.
--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

bill@braille.uwo.ca (W.B. Carss (519) 438-0344) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.222156.13412@m.cs.uiuc.edu> knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>Who out there remembers the parameters (preferably frequency and duration)
>of the original Apple ][+ or //e beep?
>
>    I seem to remember 1000Hz for .1 s, but that doesn't sound right when I
>set it up as the beep on a workstation [hint for the X Windows users out
>there -- "xset -b 50 1000 100"].
>
>Rob

Well, according to the Apple //e Tech Ref Manual p221, there are two possibilities for sending a "bell".

1.  "
BELL

BELL writes a bell (Control-G) character to the current output device.  It
leaves the accumulator holding $87.

2.
BELL1                   Sends a beep to the speaker

BELL1 generates a 1 KHz tone in the Apple IIe's speaker for 0.1 seconds.  It
scrambles the A and X registers.

"

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.023012.1270@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>Apple // Reference Manual, page 31:
>
>"The tone has a frequency of 100Hz and lasts for 1/10th of a second."
                              ^^^^^

That's probably 1000Hz or so. The beep on my old ][+ was definitely
not 100Hz :-)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/23/91)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>
>>Who out there remembers the parameters (preferably frequency and duration)
>>of the original Apple ][+ or //e beep?
>
>Apple // Reference Manual, page 31:
>
>"The tone has a frequency of 100Hz and lasts for 1/10th of a second."

I too, thought it was 1000 hz for .1 seconds. I checked my Apple Reference,
and indeed it says what you say. If you check page 163, however:

FBE4: BELL2.... Toggle speaker at 1 Khz for .1 seconds.
Bell2, loads A with $C (12) and then executes a delay (through WAIT) of
roughly 535 microseconds or 0.5 mS, hits the speaker, and then goes back for
more Y ($C0 or 192) times. The result is a tone that lasts roughly .103
seconds and is closer to 2 Khz. Have I forgotten something?

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <1991Feb22.023012.1270@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>Apple // Reference Manual, page 31:
>>
>>"The tone has a frequency of 100Hz and lasts for 1/10th of a second."
>                              ^^^^^
>
>That's probably 1000Hz or so. The beep on my old ][+ was definitely
>not 100Hz :-)

If it was 100 hz for 1/10 a second, then it would only be hitting the speaker
10 times (100 cycles per second x .1 = 10 cycles per .1 seconds). Not too
likely. Go with at least 1000 Hz (how about 2000?).

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/26/91)

c02b, bit 4 (mask $10). 0 if NTSC mode, 1 if PAL (50 hz).

My monitor can get a stable picture in both modes so as soon as you post it
I'll try it out.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

P.S. thanks for doing it... I really have my hands full these days...