[comp.sys.apple2] Apple For sale group

In article <1991Feb26.040036.22850@en.ecn.purdue.edu> platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:
>From what I've seen, Its begin used for "For Sale" posts.  Maybe everyone
>can start an Apple For Sale group on it and get them outta here!?

	Sounds like a good idea, seriously! I am pretty sure I've seen
other for sale newsgroups intended for a specific brand of computer...
(I'm all for the "if other computers can have so many specific newsgroups,
we should have them" idea...  So it seems the "comp.sys.iigs.unix" [whatever]
should be reinstated for real, as well as "comp.sys.iigs.uucp" and
"comp.sys.iigs.uucp.bugfixes" {or whatever, like I've seen in Amiga groups}..
Note I'm kidding about the uucp ones FOR NOW, until whoever gets UUCP
running fer real)
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (02/27/91)

In <12811@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1991Feb26.040036.22850@en.ecn.purdue.edu> platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:
>>From what I've seen, Its begin used for "For Sale" posts.  Maybe everyone
>>can start an Apple For Sale group on it and get them outta here!?
>	Sounds like a good idea, seriously! I am pretty sure I've seen
>other for sale newsgroups intended for a specific brand of computer...

From our newsserver, I only find misc.forsale.computers and a local
uiuc.classifieds.computer.  I hope no other platforms have their own forsale
groups.  Misc.forsale.computers was created to get forsale postings out of
technical groups, not to encourage forsale postings [NOTE this does NOT
convey my personal position on forsale posts in c.s.a2; I'm in favor of them];
having a brand-specific forsale group would be pointless in that (1) it's not
that big a share of c.s.a2 traffic (or any other group's traffic) and (2) for
sale postings would just be crossposted there and to c.s.a2 anyway, so why
bother with a separate group?

>(I'm all for the "if other computers can have so many specific newsgroups,
>we should have them" idea...  So it seems the "comp.sys.iigs.unix" [whatever]
>should be reinstated for real, as well as "comp.sys.iigs.uucp" and
>"comp.sys.iigs.uucp.bugfixes" {or whatever, like I've seen in Amiga groups}..
>Note I'm kidding about the uucp ones FOR NOW, until whoever gets UUCP
>running fer real)

While I agree in spirit, there really is no point in creating a zillion other
groups that would only get a post or two a week (or less, or worse yet, be
crossposted to comp.sys.apple2 anyway).  I hardly think the general public
judges a platform by the number of Usenet groups devoted to it. :-)
    The UUCP efforts, the Unix (more likely unix shell utility) efforts, and
the MMU/fast 65186 efforts are all important, but not enough so to warrant
their own newsgroups.  What's wrong with following a thread in c.s.a2?

Rob
Robert C. Knauerhase        "Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced
U of Ill @ Urbana-Champaign  in 1980, the 'experts' have been saying the Apple
Dept. of Computer Science    II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't
knauer@cs.uiuc.edu           kill it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the
rck@ces.cwru.edu             128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some people never learn."
knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov                      -- Tom Weishaar