[comp.sys.apple2] Another FAQ about an enhanced //e

seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) (02/26/91)

Okay.  Before I get whipped for not paying attention, my apologies :)

I just received a copy of ShrinkIt (thanks and a tip of the cap to
Vernon Williams) but found to my dismay (and embarassment) that I
need an enhanced //e to run it (65c02 with mousetext).  Knowing that
I should have known better (I mean really...) and asking the net-Gods
for forgiveness, I will again ask the FAQ (drum roll, please!):

What do I need to enhance my lowly ][e to a //e both in materials,
and procedures (I'm already hip to the need for a 65c02 chip)?

Backround - 128K ][e with Duo-Drive, 80 column card (x-tra 64K there)
            and Grappler+

Since I don't wish to burn extra bandwidth here, please e-mail replies.

Thanx in advance!

Larry Seals @ Trailing Edge Software - "When it doesn't have to be
                                           the very best!"
"I didn't sell my soul, I just took out a loan..." - Bruce Hornsby

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/28/91)

seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) writes:

>What do I need to enhance my lowly ][e to a //e both in materials,
>and procedures (I'm already hip to the need for a 65c02 chip)?
>
>Backround - 128K ][e with Duo-Drive, 80 column card (x-tra 64K there)
>            and Grappler+

If you buy the "Apple IIe Enhancement Kit" from your local (but not
necessarily Apple-II-friendly) Apple dealer, it will contain some chips for
you to install: a 65C02 CPU, two firmware ROMs ("CD" and "EF"), and a new
character generator ROM (contains mousetext). Once these chips are installed,
your Apple IIe will be functionally identical to a late-model IIe, and
therefore compatible with such goodies as MultiScribe, Publish-It, ProTERM,
etc.

Up here in Canada, the Enhancement kit is available for the everyday ripoff
price of $100 CDN (approx $86 US). You should be able to get it for much less.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com