[comp.sys.apple2] Printing GS Postscript Files on Another Machine

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (02/14/91)

	Has anyone tried printing a GS postscript file on another machine?
I made a postscript file in Appleworks GS and transferred it to
a VAX.  Then I sent it to a postscript printer and get nothing!
I think that there's some command on VAX that will reveal what
it doesn't like about a postscript file, but I can't seem to find it.
	Does anyone have info on this?  Thanks, Rocky.

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (02/15/91)

In article <12430.27ba7778@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>	Has anyone tried printing a GS postscript file on another machine?
>I made a postscript file in Appleworks GS and transferred it to
>a VAX.  Then I sent it to a postscript printer and get nothing!
>I think that there's some command on VAX that will reveal what
>it doesn't like about a postscript file, but I can't seem to find it.
>	Does anyone have info on this?  Thanks, Rocky.

I upload postscript files to a unix based system, and I have a special
program there that dumps them to the LaserWriter.  It works great.  If you
want it, mail me and I'll sennd it to you!

Platkus
.
1

hackett@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (MICHAEL HACKETT) (02/17/91)

In article <12430.27ba7778@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>	Has anyone tried printing a GS postscript file on another machine?
>I made a postscript file in Appleworks GS and transferred it to
>a VAX.  Then I sent it to a postscript printer and get nothing!
>I think that there's some command on VAX that will reveal what
>it doesn't like about a postscript file, but I can't seem to find it.
>	Does anyone have info on this?  Thanks, Rocky.

    The first line of the files that the driver writes often contain some
control characters (and also the For: line) that can cause problems with
some network printer servers.  Mine usually rejects the file thinking that's
it's binary.  When I cut out those two bad lines everything works great
(except that I can't get the NewCenturySchlbk font to print).  I will likely
write a little C program to automate the process sometime...

     Mike Hackett

avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) (02/25/91)

I do this all the time.

I make the raw PS source out of AWGS...

then I go to the copy shop with the MacII, and use AFX to switch it to
a Mac disc, then use Font Downloader on the Mac to slam the file into the
laser printer.

Works like a charm.

Except for the gif2ps program that's out on the net, I still haven't
gotten anywhere with that one yet.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/26/91)

In article <25692@netcom.COM> avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) writes:
>Except for the gif2ps program that's out on the net, I still haven't
>gotten anywhere with that one yet.

Assuming that you have access to a UNIX box, get a copy of pbmplus.
Source is available from a couple of FTP sites; expo.lcs.mit.edu
springs to mind.  It's a set of graphics manipulation tools that'll do
what you want.  Once you have installed the system, turning a GIF file
into encapsulated PostScript is as simple as this:

giftoppm foo.gif | ppmtopgm | pnmflip -cw | pgmtops >foo.eps

You can throw all sorts of transformations into the middle of the pipe
(color-to-B&W and a 90-degree rotation are in this pipe).

All that's needed now are the pbmplus utilities to work with Apple II
graphics files...

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/26/91)

Several people have given tips on how to edit IIgs Postscript files so that
they will print on other machines, esp. a Vax.  One suggestion was to edit
off the first part of the file up to the     %!PS-Adobe    part.  Another
was to find the line that starts 'waittimeout' and delete some of the
intermediate information.  My question is, with what do you do the editing?
The file contains zeros, so most text editors won't load it in (beyond the
first zero, which comes before the %!Adobe.)  Appleworks loads it in, but
substitutes # marks for each unprintable code or group of codes.  What am I
missing here?

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/27/91)

Dave Seah (seah@ee.rochester.edu) replied:

--
What I left out of my first post was that the Postscript files have zeros
both before and after the "%!PS-Adobe"  .  Here is a hex dump of the start

73 74 61 74 75 73 64 69 63 74 2F 6A 6F 62 6E 61
6D 65 28 55 73 65 72 20 2D 20 00 02 00 F8 7A 00
00 1E 7B 07 00 C7 00 00 00 00 2C 20 44 6F 63 75
6D 65 6E 74 20 2D 20 55 6E 6B 6E 6F 77 6E 29 70
75 74 0D 25 21 50 53 2D 41 64 6F 62 65 2D 32 2E
30 0D 25 25 54 69 74 6C 65 3A 20 55 6E 6B 6E 6F
77 6E 0D 25 25 46 6F 72 3A 20 00 02 00 F8 7A 00
00 1E 7B 07 00 C7 00 00 00 00 0D 25 25 43 72 65

Line 5, starting at 25 21 50 53 2d 41 64 6f 62 65 is the %!PS-Adobe, but
there are still zeros in lines 7 and 8 (but no more beyond line 8).  That
means AppleWorks, the only editor I can find that will load the file
without stopping at the first zero in line 2, will rewrite the corrected
file to disk with #'s in place of several of the characters (zeros, 2's)
in lines AFTER the %!PS-Adobe.  This won't print.  Text editors that don't
change anything you don't tell them to change wont load the file in the
first place (because of the zeros.)  I gather those zeros in lines 7-8
aren't supposed to be there, but they are there in every file I've saved
so far.  This is with system software 5.0.4, the Laserwriter driver renamed
Foziedriver, and the file winding up as POSTSCRIPT.GS00 in the Drivers
folder, as it is supposed to be.  What's going on?

Kapffer@INFORMATIK.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE (02/28/91)

[...]
>Line 5, starting at 25 21 50 53 2d 41 64 6f 62 65 is the %!PS-Adobe, but
>there are still zeros in lines 7 and 8 (but no more beyond line 8).  That
>means AppleWorks, the only editor I can find that will load the file
>without stopping at the first zero in line 2, will rewrite the corrected
>file to disk with #'s in place of several of the characters (zeros, 2's)
>in lines AFTER the %!PS-Adobe.  This won't print.  Text editors that don't
>change anything you don't tell them to change wont load the file in the
>first place (because of the zeros.)  I gather those zeros in lines 7-8
>aren't supposed to be there, but they are there in every file I've saved
>so far.  This is with system software 5.0.4, the Laserwriter driver renamed
>Foziedriver, and the file winding up as POSTSCRIPT.GS00 in the Drivers
>folder, as it is supposed to be.  What's going on?

The LaserWriter driver wants to include the name of the user in the
PostScript file (both in the header comment and somewhere a few lines later
so it will be included in the status message the LaserWriter can send to
another user waiting for the printer to become free), but the user name is
defined by the AppleTalk software and not available if it is not installed.
Therefore, the trash of some uninitialized variables will end up in the PS
file instead.
(The LaserWriter driver does this since the first version which forced us
to rename it before it could be used in a non-AT environment - does Apple
believe everybody has at least direct AT connectivity to the PS printer of
his choice ? [it's interesting to note in this context {still counting
parenthesis ?} that System 7.0 on the Mac makes the print-PS-to-file
feature official by adding a "destination" radio button group and a
SFPutFile dialog to the print dialog of the LaserWriter driver])