[comp.sys.apple2] Star NX-1000 Printer - Info Plz...

cfw@Res-c4.Prime.COM (Christopher Wroten) (02/27/91)

I've come across a Micronics Star NX-1000 printer.  I know nothing about
them and there is no manual with this thing.  Will this printer work with
my Apple IIgs?  Is it serial or parallel?  Will I need a grappler to make
it work?  Any info is appreciated!
--
Christopher F. Wroten                Statements made here are my own and do not
Prime Computer Inc., MS 10-24        necessarily reflect Prime's opinions.

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/28/91)

cfw@Res-c4.Prime.COM (Christopher Wroten) writes:
>I've come across a Micronics Star NX-1000 printer.  I know nothing about
>them and there is no manual with this thing.  Will this printer work with
>my Apple IIgs?  Is it serial or parallel?  Will I need a grappler to make
>it work?  Any info is appreciated!

The NX1000 is a parallel printer, which is Epson MX/FX-ish compatible. It will
work on your Apple II+/e/gs with a parallel printer interface. The one that I
use (and am very happy with) is the Orange Micro Grappler+. With the
"Harmonie" Epson drivers, you should be able to use this, even with GS/OS
programs.

...not the GrapplerGS, not the GrapplerCmacGS, but the Grappler+. I _had_ a
Star printer, and I was not happy with it. Besides the horrendous noise,
and mediorcre quality, the print head died after 6 months of light use  :(

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

CSCHERRER@RUBY.VCU.EDU (02/28/91)

cfw@Res-c4.Prime.COM (Christopher Wroten) writes:
>I've come across a Micronics Star NX-1000 printer.  I know nothing about
>them and there is no manual with this thing.  Will this printer work with
>my Apple IIgs?  Is it serial or parallel?  Will I need a grappler to make
>it work?  Any info is appreciated!

Well,
        not to sound to picky but I think it is actually called
        Star Micronics NX-1000.

        To work with Apple computers with serial printer port I think
        you may need the Orange Micro, Inc. Grappler 9 pin.  This uses
        a Epson EX,FX,JX series emulation.

                                        Chris Scherrer

|Chris Scherrer--------> Increasing his       BITNET:cscherrer@vcuruby       |
|                      his loan debt daily!   INTERNET:cscherrer@ruby.vcu.edu|
|Medical College       --------------------                                  |
|  of Virginia         I am in debt. Therefore, I exist to be in debt. --Me. |

GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) (02/28/91)

I have a Star NX-1000 connected to my Apple //e here at work.

It uses a standard Centronics type parallel interface that any
parallel printer interface should work with. I happen to use a
Grappler+ for mine.

Software wise, I have set up Appleworks (3.0) to use it as an Epson
printer, and I have had no problems with it except for one minor
annoyance. I haven't figured out how to get Appleworks to use it in
the near-letter-quality mode. (Appleworks resets it to draft mode after
each line of print)

Admittedly, I'm not dumping massive printouts to it every day, but it has
held up very well under a couple of years of light to medium usage.

     <o_o>
 _________________________   ________________________________________
/                         \ /                                        \
|        Kelly Gray        |  The opinions expressed in the preceding |
|                          |  message are not guaranteed to represent |
| GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA |  any form of rational thought whatsoever |
\_________________________/ \_________________________________________/

ART100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU ("Andy Tefft 725-1344", 814) (03/01/91)

In article <91Feb28.080011est.58602@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>, you say:

>I have a Star NX-1000 connected to my Apple //e here at work.
>
>Software wise, I have set up Appleworks (3.0) to use it as an Epson
>printer, and I have had no problems with it except for one minor
>annoyance. I haven't figured out how to get Appleworks to use it in
>the near-letter-quality mode. (Appleworks resets it to draft mode after
>each line of print)

I read this without really thinking about it, but then I had to
solve a similar problem today.  I have a very new Star nx-2420.
My printing software was resetting the font to draft if I set 12
pitch (Word Juggler allows pitch changes while leaving the font intact,
so I assume this other software was using one of the more powerful
font/size change commands).

The solution was the use of the "stay in panel font" feature.
I don't know if the nx-1000 has this or not, but if you hold
down the font and/or pitch buttons when you turn the printer on,
font and/or pitch will not be software-changeable until you reset
the printer (you can change font and pitch from the printer's
control panel all you want). See if that works.

By the way, I work at a store which heavily utilizes printouts
from a personal computer, and before I started work there they
had an nx-1000. It had broken down and they were told that
it wasn't meant for that heavy use. They got talked into a
different star, and now we use the old one as a secondary
printer. Anyway, both these printers cause us PROBLEMS! but
I haven't had any problems with the nx-2420.