[comp.sys.apple2] duet

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/14/90)

The information that Declan supplied about the Duet is quite interesting.
I understand that this product is actually being developed.  I'm sure
we'll hear more after Kansasfest, since CirTech seems to be distributed
exclusively by A2.Central.

Not everyone is interested in having their Apple II run Macintosh
software, but I would imagine there are quite a number of people that
such a device would appeal to, especially those who work on Macintoshes
in the office.  I suppose it will all depend on how good a device the
Duet is.  How will it handle the higher resolution of a Mac?   And how
much is this card going to cost?  How compatible will it really be?

The PC Transporter is a useful device; however, it is no substitute
for the real thing.

I doubt Apple would discourage the development of the device.  After
all, having more people using Macintosh-like devices will encourage
Macintosh sales.  I think they (Apple Computer, Inc.) are finally getting
the message that the more Macintosh users, the better.

A friend of mine had a similar Macintosh emulator hooked up to his
Atari ST.  He now owns a Mac SE/30 (he got bored with using the emulator,
and opted for the real thing).

I'd rather see a Macintosh emulator for the GS, then a Mac that runs GS
software.

Lynda

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (07/16/90)

In article <3498@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>The information that Declan supplied about the Duet is quite interesting.
>I understand that this product is actually being developed.  I'm sure
>we'll hear more after Kansasfest, since CirTech seems to be distributed
>exclusively by A2.Central.
>
>Not everyone is interested in having their Apple II run Macintosh
>software, but I would imagine there are quite a number of people that
>such a device would appeal to, especially those who work on Macintoshes
>in the office.  I suppose it will all depend on how good a device the
>Duet is.  How will it handle the higher resolution of a Mac?   And how
>much is this card going to cost?  How compatible will it really be?

My wife, a high school teacher, said if such a thing existed, her school,
at least, would be VERY interested, given a reasonable price.  The prospect
of taking their existing GS's and making them 'low cost color Macs' :-)
is very appealing.  I would suspect the K-12 market alone would keep
these folks rolling in bucks for some time, much less the hacker market.

>I'd rather see a Macintosh emulator for the GS, then a Mac that runs GS
>software.

AMEN!  I assume the old idea of Apple bringing out a Mac Plus emulator
board was squelched in the Mac fervor of the last few years.  The Duet
idea sounds real nice.  Any projected pricing yet?  Also, how would
something like this pair up with the ASIC '816 CPU?  Could make for one
screaming machine.....

A2 4FR!

>Lynda

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com			UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "How do you know when a politician is lying?  His lips move."
	- M-m-max Headroom
       "Read my lips - no new taxes..."  - G. Bush, 1988

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (08/03/90)

I just heard from a friend that heard from a friend thats beta-testing the Duet
 card (he kept it secret until now). Anyway: he says that it's running OK but n
ot at full MAC II speed and there are still many competability problems (he has
 a loaded GS system).
                       NATHAN SREBRO
                       HAIFA, ISRAEL
MAR21AA @ TECHNION.BITNET
* IF YOU USE AN APPLE II AND LIVE IN ISRAEL, E-MAIL ME ! IF YOU USE AN
APPLE IIGS AND PLAN ON VISITING ISRAEL, PLEASE E-MAIL ME ! *

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (10/09/90)

   Personally I think it would be a good idea if the DUET could drive the
 monitor itself.  You take the RGB out from the GS plug it into the DUET and
 then plug the DUET into the monitor.  That way, depending on whether you are
 using GS software or Mac software you can have the DUET switch between the
 vidio modes.  It would even be possible to make that Mac software have color,
 in a limited sense.  This would take care of the res problem...BTW the GS
 monitor can show 400 lines so its no problem.

                                          Andy
                                          PYC121 at URIACC

knauer@sunc7 (Rob Knauerhase) (11/17/90)

In article <9011150454.AA03853@eng.auburn.edu> bh@eng.auburn.edu (Brian Hartsfield) writes:
>Last time I talkd to the American Distrubuter they said that Duet was being
>worked on and they exspected to get some there in December and to be ready to
>ship 1st quarter of 91.  Give them time.

Does anyone have more (real, not rumored) information on the Duet card?
This could be for real, but it's awfully sparse...

Rob Knauerhase
Robert C. Knauerhase
   knauer@cs.uiuc.edu                    U of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
   rck@ces.cwru.edu,knauer@cwru.bitnet   Case Western Reserve University
   knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov           NASA Lewis Research Center

bh@eng.auburn.edu (Brian Hartsfield) (11/17/90)

What what I heard it is real, but I'll call the distributer again in a few days
and see what they say, but a press release has been sent out and Duet is being
worked on, but the people in America don't know anything else (or didn't earler)
besides what was in the press release so that is why the imformation is sparse.

phill@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Phill Borrero) (03/01/91)

anyone know anything about this new mac II emulator for the apple IIGS
named duet?
----
ProLine:  phill@pro-odyssey
Internet: phill@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!phill
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!phill@nosc.mil

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/01/91)

In article <7781@crash.cts.com> phill@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Phill Borrero) writes:
>anyone know anything about this new mac II emulator for the apple IIGS
>named duet?

Yes, and I don't think it's a Mac II emulator (although I could be
wrong). Anyways, that's not really that important, since it's been
cancelled due to "lack of support in the Apple II market" (or
something like that) :-(

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays