[comp.sys.apple2] 64K graphic limit

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/27/91)

From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Daid H. Huang):

> QuickDraw II is supposed to handle "pictures" (I forgot the exact term
> for it) up to 32768x32768. APF doesn't put a limit on the picture size
> either. I think the reason for the 64K limit is that it's hard to
> manipulate data that crosses a bank boundary, especially in C.

    I'm sure a reasonable comptent programmer should be able to write some
code which will swap memory in an out of video RAM for large pictures.  I
thought GS/OS calls treat the GS's entire memory space as one contiguous
address, with the end of one bank wrapping over to the beginning of the next
bank.  There is a file called BIGPICTURE in the GS file section in CompuServe
which sounds interesting.  I saw it in the new uploads list of a local BBS,
but I haven't been able to find the actual file.  Maybe someone _has_ figured
out a way around the 64K limit.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/03/91)

In article <542@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>    I'm sure a reasonable comptent programmer should be able to write some
>code which will swap memory in an out of video RAM for large pictures.  I
>thought GS/OS calls treat the GS's entire memory space as one contiguous
>address, with the end of one bank wrapping over to the beginning of the next
>bank.  There is a file called BIGPICTURE in the GS file section in CompuServe
>which sounds interesting.  I saw it in the new uploads list of a local BBS,
>but I haven't been able to find the actual file.  Maybe someone _has_ figured
>out a way around the 64K limit.

Yeah, I guess it isn't that difficult after all... As you may have seen in
a previous post of mine, I was looking for a prog that displays pictures
that are larger than 64K. After looking around a few ftp sites, and not
having any luck, I wrote one. Does that mean I'm a reasonable competent
programmer? :-) :-)

My prog doesn't use quickdraw though, it just writes to the screen
memory. I haven't seen BIGPICTURE before... do you know if it's on
America Online? If it displays big pictures (I guess it should, after
all, that is the name of the program :-), I could have saved a bunch
of time...

Now all I need is a GIF viewer that will keep the same palette for one
picture. GIF 3200 changes the palette depending on what colors are in the
part of the picture you selected. This makes saving screen sized snapshots
and sticking them together next to impossible, since the colors would be
messed up. I've done it with some 16 color pictures though, and it works
well.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays