[comp.sys.apple2] BITNET mail follows

ENT0764@OUACCVMB.BITNET (04/12/90)

I JUST BOUGHT A 24-PIN PANASONIC KX-P1124 PRINTER.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW
WHICH PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE SUPPORT THIS PRINTER SO THAT I CAN
CONNECT IT TO MY APPLE IIGS.  THANK YOU.

SIA KHOO
ENT0764@OUACCVMB

tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) (04/13/90)

>I JUST BOUGHT A 24-PIN PANASONIC KX-P1124 PRINTER.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW
>WHICH PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE SUPPORT THIS PRINTER SO THAT I CAN
>CONNECT IT TO MY APPLE IIGS.  THANK YOU.

Xetec (sp?) just announced a new box that sit in between the GS serial port
and your 24-pin printer to allow full 24-pin support to GS/OS (16-bit)
programs.  Programs Plus is advertising it in the May issue of Incider.  I
don't know if it works, but it looks promising.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tomd
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tomd@nosc.mil
INET: tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

larrylro@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Larry LRO) (05/03/90)

If you have 120ns chips already installed on the board you probaly should come
as close as possible to the 120ns.. The faster the chips the better the
performance. All the ram boards we sell come with 80ns drams installed and our
prices are the best. Look for our first add in the Incider Magazine that will
be in by this weekend.

The GS-Juice Plus is DMA although it is VERY noisy and has had problems with
the Apple DMA SCSI due to high-performance expectations.

 * Sent by AppleSauce BBS at Wed,  2 May 90 00:44:47

dsjohnson@gnh-starport.cts.com (Dave Johnson) (05/04/90)

Hey!  A DB-19 switchbox?  I've been scouring the planet to get one of those...
I'm sure you don't want to sell it by itself, but if so, I'm interested.  If
not, could you let me know where I could get one?  Any help is much
appreciated.  :)
They're-not-booing-they're-chanting-
Dave Johnson, #244, StarPort BBS (703) 931-0947 (VA)

avery@well.sf.ca.us (Avery Ray Colter) (05/08/90)

ENT0764@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:

>They told me if it was not because of this problem, they would have
>happily bought a GS instead of IBM because it is such a nice computer.
>They did not understand why this kind of problem happened to a nice
>computer.

I can hear all the chubby women reading this, and reciting the old saw,
"But she has such a pretty FACE......"

That's actually not a bad analogy. There's nothing intrinsically wrong;
they just don't get any support from any influential group anywhere.

The question is, what are Apple II users and chubby women going to do about it?

>It was a sad scene that when I went to software stores, all I saw were
>software for IBM and Amiga but few for the II and almost none for the GS.

Egghead's Apple II series stuff is 50-50 between //e and //GS.
They are also flooded with MSDOS and Macintosh stuff though.

--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@well.sf.ca.us | {apple|hplabs}!well!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,

ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET (10/16/90)

TODAY, I WENT THE LOCAL DEALER, I SAW THEY DISPLAYED THE NEW LOW END MAC,
MACINTOSH CLASSIC.  AT THE SAME TIME, I FOUND A 20 PAGES "INTRO NEWS"
AND A VIDEO INTRODUCE MACINTOSH AND THE NEW THREE MAC FROM APPLE.
THE SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICES FROM APPLE FOR THE NEW MAC IN THE "INTRO
NEWS" ARE:

MAC CLASSIC (1MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD)              $999
MAC CLASSIC HARD DISK 40 (2MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD) $1499
MAC LC HARD DISK 40 CPU (2MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD)  $2499
(SIGLE- AND DUAL-FLOPPY CONFIGURATIONS AVAILABLE IN EDUCATION MARKET
 ONLY)

MAC IISI HARD DISK 40 CPU (2MB)                    $3769
MAC IISI HARD DISK 80 CPU (5MB)                    $4569

AFTER SEEING NEW MAC, I WENT TO A MAGAZINE STORE.  I SAW THIS OCT 15,1990
ISSUE BUSSINESSWEEK REPORT ABOUT APPLE.  THE COVER PAGE PRINT:

                   APPLE COMPUTER

                       NEW TEAM, NEW STRATEGY

                   WITH SALE STALLED AND MARKET SHARE SLIPPING,
                   APPLE IS MAKING BIG CHANGES: LOWER PRICES,
                   NEW MODELS, AND ULTIMATELY A SUCCESSOR TO THE
                   MACINTOSH.

INSIDE THE REPORT, THEY ALL TALK ABOUT PRESENT AND FUTURE PLAN FOR MAC.
IF I AM NOT WRONG, THEY HAVEN'T MENTION II AT ALL.   AFTER READING THIS,
MY FRIENDS AND I DECIDED THAT WE WILL WAIT UNTIL THIS END OF THE YEAR,
IF NO GREAT NEWS FOR THE II,  WE WILL KISS APPLE GOOD BYE.  FOR SURE,
OURS NEXT COMPUTER WILL NOT BE MAC.

cse0735@desire.wright.edu (10/29/90)

In article <9010161445.AA25249@apple.com>, ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
> TODAY, I WENT THE LOCAL DEALER, I SAW THEY DISPLAYED THE NEW LOW END MAC,
> MACINTOSH CLASSIC.  AT THE SAME TIME, I FOUND A 20 PAGES "INTRO NEWS"
> AND A VIDEO INTRODUCE MACINTOSH AND THE NEW THREE MAC FROM APPLE.
> THE SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICES FROM APPLE FOR THE NEW MAC IN THE "INTRO
> NEWS" ARE:
>
> MAC CLASSIC (1MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD)              $999
> MAC CLASSIC HARD DISK 40 (2MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD) $1499
> MAC LC HARD DISK 40 CPU (2MB) (INCLUDES KEYBOARD)  $2499
> (SIGLE- AND DUAL-FLOPPY CONFIGURATIONS AVAILABLE IN EDUCATION MARKET
>  ONLY)
>
> MAC IISI HARD DISK 40 CPU (2MB)                    $3769
> MAC IISI HARD DISK 80 CPU (5MB)                    $4569
>
> AFTER SEEING NEW MAC, I WENT TO A MAGAZINE STORE.  I SAW THIS OCT 15,1990
> ISSUE BUSSINESSWEEK REPORT ABOUT APPLE.  THE COVER PAGE PRINT:
>
>                    APPLE COMPUTER
>
>                        NEW TEAM, NEW STRATEGY
>
>                    WITH SALE STALLED AND MARKET SHARE SLIPPING,
>                    APPLE IS MAKING BIG CHANGES: LOWER PRICES,
>                    NEW MODELS, AND ULTIMATELY A SUCCESSOR TO THE
>                    MACINTOSH.
>
> INSIDE THE REPORT, THEY ALL TALK ABOUT PRESENT AND FUTURE PLAN FOR MAC.
> IF I AM NOT WRONG, THEY HAVEN'T MENTION II AT ALL.   AFTER READING THIS,
> MY FRIENDS AND I DECIDED THAT WE WILL WAIT UNTIL THIS END OF THE YEAR,
> IF NO GREAT NEWS FOR THE II,  WE WILL KISS APPLE GOOD BYE.  FOR SURE,
> OURS NEXT COMPUTER WILL NOT BE MAC.

After attending the rollout of new computers I was highly dissapointed
(again) to see a total lack of II stuff. The IIe emulator board was running
Appleworks for about 5 minutes and then they went back to mac. The packet
had a pamphlet showing the entire Apple line which of course did not show
a single II item. Scully mentioned in his speech "Macintosh and our other
products" like he was afraid to say the II word. They had on a table the
entire mac line with all the screens synchronized together, and of course
there was no IIgs/c/e to be seen. This I think was the last straw. I am now
planning to fix the battery in my GS and sell it and buy an Amiga or something.
I am well aware of all the problems with the II market I'm basicly fed up
with Apple. I started with a II+ about 8 years ago and bought the GS about
4 years ago with high hopes. Apple has gone out of thier way to make life
hard on me with thier lack of support. I use a Mac at work and think it's a
fince machine, but I probably will never buy one. I'm really not even sure how
stable Apple is as a company. I have talked with many GSers and most feel
the same way. I may be taking quite a few people with me. I really hate
to do it since I have been an Apple fanatic for so long (yes I have a big
Apple rug hanging on my wall, Apple mugs, Apple shirts etc.) it is quite
hard to do, but the II is dead. The Amiga reminds me so much of what I was
expecting the GS to be. Lots of sofwtare, lots of vendor, and most importantly
support from the manufacturer. My main interests in computers are music and
graphics. The GS had the capability, but it never went anywhere. Sure Diversi-
Tune and SoundSmith were nice, but take a look through an Amiga World and
see all the high quality software. Not just 2 or 3 packages, but several dozen.
And the IIgs was just to slow for do anything really good graphics wise. The
Modulae demo looks nice, but I saw many similar demos on the Amiga that were
much better. I keep asking people to tell me I'm making a big mistake (and
support it) but so far nobody I've talked to seemed to think so. A used GS
might fetch about 1100 and a used 8 Mhz 1MB A2000 is about 900. Plus the
thing has co-processors galore and decent sound (although far from GS quality).
SO anyone have a good reason for me not to switch? I'd really like to hear it.
Email or post. Maybe we can get some posts about whats good in the II from
replys to this message.

Chris Blouch
IIgs SIG leader for Apple Dayton Users Group

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Oct28.163343.1656@desire.wright.edu>, cse0735@desire.wright.edu writes:
[ A report from an Apple show deleted, plus a lot of trying to decide to
sell his GS and buy an Amiga]
> SO anyone have a good reason for me not to switch? I'd really like to hear it.
> Email or post. Maybe we can get some posts about whats good in the II from
> replys to this message.

You really need to decide why you want to switch. Is it lack of software?
You've had your GS for 4 years now, do you really need a better term prg
than proterm 2.2? or a better word processor than the one your using?

You mention lack of support from Apple. I am the proud owner of an Atari
ST, and support from Atari is practically non-existent. But I still like my
computer and haven't thought of any reason to switch. I have all the
software I need.

You also talk about the stability of Apple. Apple is HUGE, and I don't see
them folding anytime soon.

I see a lot of the paranoimia in this group toward the Mac, like in the Mac
magazines they are very paranoid about IBM and Windows 3.0.

If you really want to switch, don't hesitate to check out the strengths of
a Mac, or Atari STe, or (gasp!) and 386sx Comp. :*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET (02/02/91)

HELLO, DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO USE BITFTP? I NEED HELP IN ORDER TO USE
IT.  PLEASE HELP ME.

THANKS :)

SIA KHOO
BITNET :ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET

ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET (03/04/91)

Hello, everyone, please help me   !
My GS is sicked.  When I am working with my GS today, It kept dyin and e
gave me "Fatal System error -> 0681.  I used GS' system diagnostic and
I got "System Bad 04000000".  Could anyone tell me what does it mean and
how could I fix it because I could not afford my GS get sick.  Please
help me ASAP  !!

Thanks !:)

Sia Kun Khoo
bitnet: ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/04/91)

ENT0022@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:

>My GS is sicked.  When I am working with my GS today, It kept dyin and e
>gave me "Fatal System error -> 0681.  I used GS' system diagnostic and
>I got "System Bad 04000000".

04xxxxxx means the RAM Address Test failed
the zeros are the address it failed at, which is the first byte of memory...

Ouch. Did you change anything about the hardware recently?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Joshua Levitsky) (03/06/91)

Do you have an internal fan? I know that that error and others like it pop up
when you overheat... if it's that then just cool the room it's in and put
something between the CPU and Monitor. If it's not the heat then I _Think_ that
it stands for somehting screwed with the DeskTop Bus, but I forget. I suggenst
running the GS diagnostic program that's floating around. It's the one that the
Apple Dealers use. Helps a lot.
-Joshie EMT
| INET: jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               |  Drive safely;   |
|                                                      | 90% of the people|
| UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky          |   in the world   |
|                                                      |  are created by  |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky@nosc.mil |    accidents     |