[comp.sys.apple2] Looking for prog to display big SHR pics

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/03/91)

The title more or less says it all... I'm looking for a program that will
let me view APF pictures that are bigger than 64K (uncompressed). SHRConvert
says that the file is too large...
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/04/91)

In article <44988@ut-emx.uucp> I wrote:
>The title more or less says it all... I'm looking for a program that will
>let me view APF pictures that are bigger than 64K (uncompressed). SHRConvert
>says that the file is too large...

Well, I found a program that does the trick. SHR View 3.1 will load
APF pics up to 4096x4096, as well as almost any other SHR format.
It'll load $C1 uncompressed screens, $C0 auxtype 0-2 compressed
pictures, the 3200color formats (both compressed and uncompressed) and
a few more. Pretty neat, considering that it's a P8 program. The only
problem (for me at least) is that it's a slideshow program. You can't
really pick what picture you want to see. It'll show all the pictures
in the current prefix (which you can't change once you start the
program). Also, it kills the system (sliding apple thing) if it can't
find the right disk, so it's a little difficult to use on a one drive
system... You have put the program on the disk containing your pictures
for it to work.

It does it's job very well though... you can configure many of the
slideshow options, use the mouse to scroll through a picture, and a
couple of other neat things. However, it's too much of a hassle for
me... I'll stick with my own little APF only viewer.

If you get this program and like it, send the author the shareware
fee! Support shareware!

--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/06/91)

From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang):

> The title more or less says it all... I'm looking for a program that will
> let me view APF pictures that are bigger than 64K (uncompressed).
> SHRConvert says that the file is too large...

    There's a utility called BigPic which can combine two full-page APF
graphics into one large 640x400 picture.  It saves it in its own format
however, and it only displays them.  I haven't taken a good look at it yet,
but it looks really rough around the edges.

    I would like not only a utility that will create/view/store large APF
graphics, I want one that can use standard GS drivers to PRINT the pic.  Using
the LaserWriter driver, I can set reduction to 50% and get a very nice
greyscale rendition of a 640x480 GIF.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/07/91)

In article <559@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>    There's a utility called BigPic which can combine two full-page APF
>graphics into one large 640x400 picture.  It saves it in its own format
>however, and it only displays them.  I haven't taken a good look at it yet,
>but it looks really rough around the edges.

Yeah, I took a look at it, and it only lets you make pictures
320x(200-800) or (320-1280)x200. Scrolling is automatic (you can't
control where you want to look) and one-way only.

I've found that SHR View 3.1 and Utilityworks GS will work, but I
really don't like either that much (I like my own :-) SHR View is a
slideshow program, so it's hard to pick which file you want to view,
and UWGS doesn't have a full screen mode (at least not in the version
I have... the later versions might though), so there's an annoying
menu bar and scroll boxes. Also, it crashes into the monitor when you
try to print a big picture :-(

>    I would like not only a utility that will create/view/store large APF
>graphics, I want one that can use standard GS drivers to PRINT the pic.  Using
>the LaserWriter driver, I can set reduction to 50% and get a very nice
>greyscale rendition of a 640x480 GIF.

I've got a shell program that will take $C1 pics and stick them
together to make a big APF picture. You can use GIF3200 to convert
320x200 chunks of the picture and then stick them together... It would
be nice to have a program to print though. I haven't read much about
the Print Manager, so I was wondering if anyone knew what it thinks
about pictures > 64K?