[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS and lower case

mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com (Mike Fleming) (02/26/91)

GS/OS's ProDOS FST stores filenames the same as ProDOS 8 always did--in all
upper case.  The difference is that GS/OS (And any P8 program--suck as
Shrinkit 3.2-- that knows about it) uses the VERSION and MIN   ^^^such
VERSION as flags to determine weather a character should be upper or lower
case.  I.E:

 Version/ Min Version taken as a word: 1011100111000000
 Filename:                              FILE.NAME
 Effective Filename:                    File.Name
Note that the highest bit in the Version/ Min version word indicates if the
word is valid.  If it is 0, always ignore the word.

Periods are always considered upper case characters.

Mike Fleming
----
ProLine:  mikef@pro-harvest
Internet: mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-harvest!mikef
ARPA:     crash!pro-harvest!mikef@nosc.mil

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (02/28/91)

mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com (Mike Fleming) writes:

> GS/OS's ProDOS FST stores filenames the same as ProDOS 8 always did--in all
> upper case.  The difference is that GS/OS (And any P8 program--suck as
> Shrinkit 3.2-- that knows about it) uses the VERSION and MIN   ^^^such
> VERSION as flags to determine weather a character should be upper or lower
> case.

Really?  I read (Gary Little's ProDOS 8 and GS/OS Reference, I think) that
not only can GS/OS understand LOWER CASE, but it could also understand the
slash (/) character as a legitimate for filenames, as GS/OS actually uses
colon (:) to separate directories, but haven't been able to get that to
work....  Why?

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! Maybe the people with the most answers      |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! have solved the most problems.              |
| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp        !              Apple II Forever!              |
|_cmcurtin%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com!_____________Support__Shareware!_____________|

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/01/91)

In article <Rwy3X3w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>mikef@pro-harvest.cts.com (Mike Fleming) writes:
>
>> GS/OS's ProDOS FST stores filenames the same as ProDOS 8 always did--in all
>> upper case.  The difference is that GS/OS (And any P8 program--suck as
>> Shrinkit 3.2-- that knows about it) uses the VERSION and MIN   ^^^such
>> VERSION as flags to determine weather a character should be upper or lower
>> case.
>
>Really?  I read (Gary Little's ProDOS 8 and GS/OS Reference, I think) that
>not only can GS/OS understand LOWER CASE, but it could also understand the
>slash (/) character as a legitimate for filenames, as GS/OS actually uses
>colon (:) to separate directories, but haven't been able to get that to
>work....  Why?

GS/OS CAN understand lowercase, but ProDOS can't (at least not in the
filename itself). So, the ProDOS FST puts the lowercase info in the
version flags. Same thing with the "/" in filenames. GS/OS does allow
"/"s in filenames, but ProDOS doesn't. The slash will be used as a
directory separator if the volume name starts with a slash. If the
volume name starts with a colon, a slash will be used as part of the
filename, if possible. Also, how are you trying to use the colon as a
separator? It works fine for me within the parameter lists for GS/OS
calls. You can't use the colon in Prodos 8 programs though...

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (03/06/91)

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

> GS/OS CAN understand lowercase, but ProDOS can't (at least not in the
> filename itself). So, the ProDOS FST puts the lowercase info in the
> version flags. Same thing with the "/" in filenames. GS/OS does allow
> "/"s in filenames, but ProDOS doesn't.

Is that to say that the reason why I can't create a file under my current
GS/OS called "test/file" is because I have my ProDOS FST enabled?  If it
is the ProDOS FST that is preventing filenames to be STORED in lower-case,
then if I disable it, I can have one file called "FILE" and another called
"file" in the same directory?

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/07/91)

In article <gu3Dy3w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>
>> GS/OS CAN understand lowercase, but ProDOS can't (at least not in the
>> filename itself). So, the ProDOS FST puts the lowercase info in the
>> version flags. Same thing with the "/" in filenames. GS/OS does allow
>> "/"s in filenames, but ProDOS doesn't.
>
>Is that to say that the reason why I can't create a file under my current
>GS/OS called "test/file" is because I have my ProDOS FST enabled?  If it
>is the ProDOS FST that is preventing filenames to be STORED in lower-case,
>then if I disable it, I can have one file called "FILE" and another called
>"file" in the same directory?

Currently, you can't disable the ProDOS FST (anyways, if you could,
you wouldn't be able to read any of your ProDOS disks). If you're
hooked up to an AppleShare file server, you can create a file called
"test/file", since AppleShare doesn't mind having a "/" in the name.
However, you can't create "test:file" since the colon is a directory
separator type of thing. If you have a file system that distinguishes
between "file" and "FILE", you can create them and have them be
distinct (provided you have the right FST). However, as far as I know,
no filesystem that has a FST will let you do that. ProDOS won't,
AppleShare won't, and High Sierra/ISO 9600 won't either, so you can't
do it. I guess if someone would come out with a Unix FST (weird, huh?
:-), it would be possible...

Anyways, don't try to disable or delete the ProDOS FST... your disk
won't boot...

>| C. Matthew Curtin             ! Maybe the people with the most answers     |
>| P.O. Box 27081                ! have solved the most problems.             |
>| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !--------------------------------------------|
>| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp        !             Apple II Forever!              |
>|_cmcurtin%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com!____________Support__Shareware!_____________|

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays
UUCP: ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh   |   can have serious consequences"
America Online: DrWho29                     |

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (03/08/91)

Even under HFS on the mac you cannot have 'file' and 'FILE' in the
same directory.  Under the ProDOS FST and under HFS the case is not
used when accessing a file.

Brendan G. Hoar                      bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Apartment 1                          Caregie Mellon, Inc.
357 Melwood Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 621-8278