[comp.sys.apple2] ProDOS 8 v1.9 QUIT call

gvrod@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (R Eldridge, VAX Systems) (03/05/91)

ProDOS 8 Technical Note #23: ProDOS 8 Changes and Minutia, September 1990 says:

  o  New selector and dispatcher code was added for machines with 80
     columns.  The old code is still present for machines without 80-
     column capability.

However, no examples of *how* to make an enhanced QUIT call were given.
Can anyone tell me how to make enhanced QUIT calls? Can I specify which
file is to be selected and executed upon QUITting?
____________
rod eldridge          (GVROD@ISUVAX.BITNET or GVROD@ISUVAX.IASTATE.EDU)
iowa state university (phone: 515-294-7498 fax: 515-294-1717)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/05/91)

gvrod@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (R Eldridge, VAX Systems) writes:

>ProDOS 8 Technical Note #23: ProDOS 8 Changes and Minutia, September 1990 says
>
>  o  New selector and dispatcher code was added for machines with 80
>     columns.  The old code is still present for machines without 80-
>     column capability.
>
>However, no examples of *how* to make an enhanced QUIT call were given.
>Can anyone tell me how to make enhanced QUIT calls? Can I specify which
>file is to be selected and executed upon QUITting?

Whoa. There's a difference. The new quit CODE they are talking about is a
menu based program selector to replace the infamous 'enter prefix or return
to accept' quit code. I spit on Apple's quit code because it actually requires
128K so it can hide somewhere in the back of the machine, while I was able to
write a 40 column any-apple quit code that does more than Apple's without
requiring any extra memory.

The enhanced quit CALL is something that is only available on a GS after you
have booted GS/OS and run a P8 program.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/08/91)

The quit call is accesses from BASIC with the BYE command, and from other 8
bit programs.  It replaces the:

ENTER THE PREFIX OF THE NEXT APPLICATION

ONLY if you have 80 column.  It highlights ALL the SYS type files, and
shows ALL SUB-Directories.  If anyone has Byrd's Better Bye, you know what
I mean.  They are almost alike.  Anyway, to change volumes just press TAB.
I found ONLY 1 bug so far is, when selecting PRODOS (the one that starts up
the System Disk) it crashes.

                Adam Ford
----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/08/91)

How do you get the > and people's posts here?  I need that...

>The enhanced quit CALL is something that is only available on a GS after
>you have booted GS/OS and run a P8 program.

That I entered in myself..

NO.  I have copied ProDos 8 v1.9 onto other disks and NEVER boot GS/OS and
the menu quit call ALWAYS works.  Now for the IIgs, it should work, because
it is in the ProDOS 8 Technical Note, which I have, and it doesn't say
anything about a IIgs.  I do know that it requires 80 column and 128k

        Adam Ford
----

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/09/91)

In article <7871@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

>How do you get the > and people's posts here?  I need that...

I don't know how you do that on a Proline system... with the 'rn'
newsreader, you just type "F" and it will post a followup article and
include the old article with ">"s in front...

>>The enhanced quit CALL is something that is only available on a GS after
>>you have booted GS/OS and run a P8 program.
>
>NO.  I have copied ProDos 8 v1.9 onto other disks and NEVER boot GS/OS and
>the menu quit call ALWAYS works.  Now for the IIgs, it should work, because
>it is in the ProDOS 8 Technical Note, which I have, and it doesn't say
>anything about a IIgs.  I do know that it requires 80 column and 128k

It's not the same!!! I believe the orignal poster was asking about the
ability to launch another program with the quit call, not the menu
thingy that's always there in P8 1.9 (if you have 80cols and 128K).
You need to have booted GS/OS first, then when you launch a P8
application, the P8 application can quit to another program. I remember
that you put an "$EE" byte somewhere in the parm list form the quit
call.

So... the menu quit call always works, but the extended quit call
doesn't work unless you boot GS/OS first. There is a difference :-)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays