[comp.sys.apple2] Bug in System Disk 5.0.4?

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (03/09/91)

Ever since I got GS/OS 5.0.4, I haven't been able to use the option key to
display the upper 128 characters of a font, even in programs where I'm
_sure_ it worked before (like HyperStudio).  Is this a bug in GS/OS, or is
it some other program that's causing the problem?  (Nothing besides the new
System Disk comes to mind.)  Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Oh, and while I'm at it, can somebody briefly sum up what the GS/OS notify
queue is and how to use it?  (I'm too cheap to buy the GS/OS Reference
Manual...  :-)
--                       {_ "It's not how high you are, _}   Disclaimer:
Ben Rudiak-Gould          _}  it's Hi, how are you?"   {_  Opinions are mine...
benji@euler.berkeley.edu {_        -- Mike Sugarbaker   _} Mine... ALL MINE!!!!
___________________________}___________________________{   HA HA HAAA HAAAAAA!!

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (03/09/91)

In article <11819@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:

>Ever since I got GS/OS 5.0.4, I haven't been able to use the option key to
>display the upper 128 characters of a font, even in programs where I'm
>_sure_ it worked before (like HyperStudio).  Is this a bug in GS/OS, or is
>it some other program that's causing the problem?  (Nothing besides the new
>System Disk comes to mind.)  Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Enter the Control Panel (the NDA version in graphics mode).  Pick the
alphabet icon and change the setting to None if you want the option
key to work as before.  Usually you would keep this set to Standard.
I sometimes have to do this to get the option keys in Paintworks Gold
to work as well.  However, it's been this way ever since System Disk
5.0 so I don't know why you didn't notice it until now.

>Oh, and while I'm at it, can somebody briefly sum up what the GS/OS notify
>queue is and how to use it?  (I'm too cheap to buy the GS/OS Reference
>Manual...  :-)

Buy the manual.  I haven't had time to read mine carefully yet. :-)

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (03/09/91)

In article <11819@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>Ever since I got GS/OS 5.0.4, I haven't been able to use the option key to
>display the upper 128 characters of a font, even in programs where I'm
>_sure_ it worked before (like HyperStudio).  Is this a bug in GS/OS, or is
>it some other program that's causing the problem?  (Nothing besides the new
>System Disk comes to mind.)  Apologies if this has been discussed before.
>
>Oh, and while I'm at it, can somebody briefly sum up what the GS/OS notify
>queue is and how to use it?  (I'm too cheap to buy the GS/OS Reference
>Manual...  :-)

No problem, enter the graphic control and make sure that your keyboard
translation is set properly. I think it should be set to standard translation.
Correct me if I'm wrong. (You'll find it in the Keyboard CDEV.)

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|