[comp.sys.apple2] rnews batch

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (02/19/91)

>> Thanks, Apple, for giving the GS only ONE ADB port!

Er, all of Apple's computers which have ADB capability only have one ADB port -
ADB is meant to be a daisy-chained interface - it's like saying that Apple is
wrong in shipping Macs with only one SCSI port!

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/20/91)

In article <7645@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
>>> Thanks, Apple, for giving the GS only ONE ADB port!
>
>Er, all of Apple's computers which have ADB capability only have one ADB port -
>ADB is meant to be a daisy-chained interface - it's like saying that Apple is
>wrong in shipping Macs with only one SCSI port!

The ADB Macs have two ADB ports on the back. You can plug the keyboard
into one of them and the mouse into the other,if you like, or you can
daisy chain the mouse off the keyboard and plug something else into
the other port. Only one SCSI port is needed since most, if not all
SCSI devices have two ports. However, mice are very common, and the
don't have another ADB port to plug something in to. Apple did have a
reason for putting 2 ADB ports on the Macs, ya know...
--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (02/20/91)

Actually, as far as I know, the Mac SE and all the Mac II line have 2
ADB ports...you'll notice that the mouses on those computers AREN'T
connected to the keyboard.

Dunno about the classic and the LC, tho.

Brendan G. Hoar                      bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Apartment 1                          Caregie Mellon, Inc.
357 Melwood Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 621-8278

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (02/20/91)

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
> >> Thanks, Apple, for giving the GS only ONE ADB port!
>
> Er, all of Apple's computers which have ADB capability only have one ADB port -
> ADB is meant to be a daisy-chained interface - it's like saying that Apple is
> wrong in shipping Macs with only one SCSI port!

> Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
>   TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246
>
> "Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
> seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
> of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
>                                                         - Surak Of Vulcan

BZZZT! Sorry, but thanks for playing.  The Mac SE and all Mac IIs have
TWO ADB ports.  ADB is not a daisy-chained interface like SCSI; it can
be split up into two or more forks wherever you want.  In fact, the LC
and Classic are the only ADB-capable Macs with only one ADB port (wait
- nw that I think of it, the IIsi might also only have one; I forget).
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (02/21/91)

>> Er, all of Apple's computers with ADB ports only have one ADB port
(who cares if the quote isn't exact, I'm quoting myself :)

Well, I found out that I was mistaken - the Macintosh IIs have two ADB ports.
I'm posting this to avoid the flood of mail that would be inevitable if I
allowed my mistake to stand uncorrected much longer (I've already gotten 2
letters, and I just posted it yesterday! :)... I still think that there's
absolutely no need for more than one ADB port, just like there is no need for
more than one SCSI port, but I guess it is convenient if the chaining through
the keyboard breaks on a computer like a IIGS... I apologize for my error, but
the general nature of the post still stands (although, since Apple never even
put ONE SCSI port in the IIGS, I guess there is SOME reason to complain... :)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/23/91)

On Tue, 19 Feb 91 12:17:12 GMT Daniel Zimmerman said:
>>> Thanks, Apple, for giving the GS only ONE ADB port!
>
>Er, all of Apple's computers which have ADB capability only have one ADB port -
>ADB is meant to be a daisy-chained interface - it's like saying that Apple is
>wrong in shipping Macs with only one SCSI port!

I think most macs have 2 ADB ports.  I know the ones in our office here at
work do.  But you're right about the daisy chaining thing.  All you need is one

>Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
>  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/23/91)

On Wed, 20 Feb 91 01:56:47 GMT Brendan Gallagher Hoar said:
>Actually, as far as I know, the Mac SE and all the Mac II line have 2
>ADB ports...you'll notice that the mouses on those computers AREN'T
>connected to the keyboard.

The mouse is connected to whichever you want.  Where I work, some are connected
to the keyboard and others are connected to the back.  It's completely
optional.

>Dunno about the classic and the LC, tho.

me either.

jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Joshua Levitsky) (02/24/91)

>Are there any programs out there that undelete files with resource forks?

look at Deliverance, by Vitesse... or Prosel 8-16 by Glen B. I think.
-Joshie EMT
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| INET: jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               |  Drive safely;   |
|                                                      | 90% of the people|
| UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky          |   in the world   |
|                                                      |  are created by  |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky@nosc.mil |    accidents     |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Joshua Levitsky) (02/24/91)

This is regarding your problem with loading ORCA.SYS16 first...

You said that if you run ANYTHING else first it fixes the problem, but it's a
pain to have to quit from the first to load ORCA all the time. Why not write a
program called START that launches a file named ORCA.SYS16. Maybe that would
fix the problem, and you wouldn't have to launch an extra program. START would
be the first to automaticly run... then it would load ORCA.SYS16. Remember to
start all the tools you need though. It may be an unseen error in ORCA that
causes the crash... like it doesn't load 1 neccessary tool or something. Try
E-mail me if you don't understand a word I've said.
-Joshie EMT
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| INET: jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               |  Drive safely;   |
|                                                      | 90% of the people|
| UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky          |   in the world   |
|                                                      |  are created by  |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky@nosc.mil |    accidents     |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (03/10/91)

Noise in ROM 01 GS... it's seems to be some design flaw in the GS ROM 01...
they have it fixed in the ROM 03s as I understand it.

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (03/10/91)

Zip doesn't access main memory at 8Mhz, it access it at 2.5-2.8Mhz. Only the
cache RAM get accessed at full 8Mhz.  Oops, change that to 1-2.8Mhz for main
memory.  I can't verify if using 150ns affects it, since all my chips are 120ns
or better.

All of Zips are DMA compatible except for one model... they're cheapest one.
Transwarp are also DMA compatible, they're earlier models needed new PALs
to be DMA comaptible... all current TWGS are DMA compatible though.

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple