[comp.sys.apple2] System Disk configuration

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (03/07/91)

1.  What files on a system disk do you need (or don't need) to run S16
    program without having to go through the Finder? (The files that just
    boot and load the system and then run the program)

2.  What is Expressload?

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu
                          @uwlax.bitnet

In article <21030700384132@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>1.  What files on a system disk do you need (or don't need) to run S16
>    program without having to go through the Finder? (The files that just
>    boot and load the system and then run the program)

	I don't know a comprehensive list of which files you need and which
you don't, so I will leave this part to someone else.  One thing I will
state though is that the program which is run upon boot is one of the
following:

	1) The first program in the root path of the boot volume that is
named *.SYS16  (analogous to ".system" in the ProDOS 8 realm)
	2) The file named START in your System directory of your boot
voluime.

	I am not sure which takes precedence, but I would presume "START"
does (as it takes "more work" to do, it would seem more important).

>2.  What is Expressload?

	It is an ingenious method by which file running is made much faster,
up to orders of magnitude faster.

	From my understanding, it is also application-invisible. By this,
I mean that you can go and Expressload old SYS16 programs written before
the advent of Expressload, EXPRESSLOAD them, and they'll now take
advantage of the Expressload features. I would guess PaintWorks Gold
would not work with being Expressloaded, as it seems to barf at any
minor revision! (this is kind of a joke.. Paintworks gold seems to be one
of the programs people whine about not working all the time)

	I also think that if you move an Expressloaded file to an older
System Disk, it will work fine without barfing on you.

	Now that's what I call really cool.
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/08/91)

In article <13191@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <21030700384132@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>>1.  What files on a system disk do you need (or don't need) to run S16
>>    program without having to go through the Finder? (The files that just
>>    boot and load the system and then run the program)
>
>	I don't know a comprehensive list of which files you need and which
>you don't, so I will leave this part to someone else.  One thing I will

Check the GS/OS Technote #1, it lists which files are needed to boot
and which aren't... it also depends on what the program you're running
needs. If it doesn't use fonts, you don't need the Fonts directory. If
it doesn't need tools (rather unlikely though), you can trash the
Tools directory. You should keep everything in the System.Setup
directory, the CDevs and Desk.Accs directories are nice to have
around, but if you're really cramped for disk space, you can get rid
of them too. Lessee... You need the ProDOS file in the volume
directory, the GS.OS, Start.GS.OS, GS.OS.Dev, and Error.Msg file in
the System directory. You'll also need a couple of drivers, like the
AppleDisk3.5 and Console.Driver. If you want to print stuff, you need
the appropriate printer driver (like ImageWriter), and the port
drivers, Printer and Modem. Oh, a very important thing I almost left
out... you need the Pro.FST and Char.FST in the FSTs directory. I
think that's all... But check GS/OS TN #1 to be sure. I can mail it to
you if you want it.

>>2.  What is Expressload?
>
>	It is an ingenious method by which file running is made much faster,
>up to orders of magnitude faster.

It doesn't make file running faster, just file loading (that's why
it's ExpressLoad, not ExpressRun :-)

>	From my understanding, it is also application-invisible. By this,
>I mean that you can go and Expressload old SYS16 programs written before
>the advent of Expressload, EXPRESSLOAD them, and they'll now take
>advantage of the Expressload features. I would guess PaintWorks Gold
>would not work with being Expressloaded, as it seems to barf at any
>minor revision! (this is kind of a joke.. Paintworks gold seems to be one
>of the programs people whine about not working all the time)

I read on America Online, that Expressed copies of PW Gold are
available on the "grey market" (read as pirated). They also seem to be
patched to work with System 5.0.4.

>	I also think that if you move an Expressloaded file to an older
>System Disk, it will work fine without barfing on you.

That's how it's _supposed_ to work :-) I've seen a few files that
didn't run when I tried running with System 4.0.

>	Now that's what I call really cool.
>--
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/10/91)

Depending on what System Disk you have, and what ROM version you have, you
can get rid of some tools.  You DON'T need P8 UNLESS you decide to load P8
programs, (ie. Copy II+, BASIC.SYSTEM).  Expressload is not needed, at all.
It's only there for some programs, that can take advantage of it.  All it
does, it speeds up the loading process.  Hence the name Express  and Load.

        Adam with ROM 3 IIgs
----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion