[comp.sys.apple2] Converting Wizardry V

In article <1991Mar8.162432.8036@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Here's a message for all the programmers out there who like to deal
>with the Pascal system.
>I've got a copy of Wizardry V which comes on nine 5.25" disks.
>What I would like to do is transfer this to one or two 3.5" disks.
>This should be able to be done as the boot disk contains a Pascal
>directory that lists the files and the disk size as 1600 blocks which
>is the same as a 3.5" disks.
>What I think they've done is stretched the 1600 blocks across the 5.25"
>disks.  Disk A is the program and boot while disks B-I are the various
>levels of the maze.

	Wait.. That doesn't make any sense to me.. You're saying EACH disk
says it's 1600 blocks long? The blocks may not be the same size as ProDOS
blocks (I do not remember).. We know that DOS 3.3 block aren't the same, so
there's no reason Pascal's are..

	Are Pascal disks named? I don't remember. I know that when you're
in pascal you refer to them by a #.

	If they are not named, simply try copying everything from as many
of the disks that will fit onto one disk, and the rest on the other disk.

	If Pascal disks aren't named, it may simply try to find a file, and
if it's not there, then say "Insert disk X" (figuring X from some list it's
got in memory).

	If they ARE named, copy disks 1-5 on one 3.5" disk (formatted in
Pascal obviously), and disks 6-9 on another disk.

	Then you'll have to use a sector editor to find the NAMES of
the disks.. Whenever you find any of the names of disks 1-5, replace it
with the name of the new disk you put everything on. There is probably
some sort of signifying when a filename ends, such as having the last byte's
high bit set, or ending it with a null or something.

	After you do all of that it LOGICALLY should work but probably
won't! heh.. you'll have to do fiddling around until it works..
(Boy... ain't that a good description of the life of a programmer?
"Fiddle around until it works"!)

	WHAT I am looking for is ULTIMA V on PRODOS disks (or even
somehow mangle it to work with UniDOS or somesuch)... (WRITE TO ORIGIN
ABOUT ULTIMA VI GS and //e!)
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (03/11/91)

In article <13247@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	WHAT I am looking for is ULTIMA V on PRODOS disks (or even
>somehow mangle it to work with UniDOS or somesuch)... (WRITE TO ORIGIN
>ABOUT ULTIMA VI GS and //e!)

The boot-disk is a ProDOS disk (altough it's protected with some silly epilogue
change or whatever - it was more than a year ago I looked at it - which is
easily removed). The other disks could actually be converted into files, and
the program could be patched to read from these files instead of RWTS'ing the
data disks, but it would hardly be worth the trouble. You can put the boot-disk
onto your hard disk though.

>--
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

| Christer Ericson                            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |