[comp.sys.apple2] Orca C

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (03/07/91)

I am thinking of buying Orca C, and I was wondering what comes with the
compiler?  Do all the standard header files (ie. stdio.h, string.h, etc.)
come included or are they separate?

Andy Goldstein

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.164559.16805@sarah.albany.edu> ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
>I am thinking of buying Orca C, and I was wondering what comes with the
>compiler?  Do all the standard header files (ie. stdio.h, string.h, etc.)
>come included or are they separate?

 Orca/C is a pretty complete package.  It's not 100% Unix Ansi compatible,
but then it's not Unix.  Every now and then when I find a routine that's
not in the Orca libs, I write it.
 But to answer your question, everything is included with Orca/C:
shell, desktop debugging environment, libraries, linker, headers, etc.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar6.164559.16805@sarah.albany.edu> ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:
>I am thinking of buying Orca C, and I was wondering what comes with the
>compiler?  Do all the standard header files (ie. stdio.h, string.h, etc.)
>come included or are they separate?

ORCA/C comes with a compiler, standard libraries and headers, Apple
IIGS-specific (APW) libraries and headers, a shell (compatible with
the now-defunct Apple IIGS Programmer's Workshop), and a desktop
editing/debugging environment called Prizm.

If you are also interested in assembly-language programming, there
is an additional ByteWorks product called ORCA/M that you can add
to the Orca/Prizm environment.  There is also ORCA/Pascal that is
effectively the Pascal equivalent of ORCA/C; it can be added to the
same environment.

ORCA/C Release 1.0 had numerous bugs that made it difficult to use;
ORCA/C Release 1.1 is available as a free upgrade and is much better.
ORCA/C Release 1.2 is currently undergoing Beta testing and should
fix all remaining reported bugs.  Upgrade from ORCA/C 1.1 to 1.2 will
probably cost a nominal amount, around $10 to $20 I would expect.

The desktop environment (Prizm) also has several bugs, although not
so severe as to keep me from using it as my primary IIGS development
environment.  Improved versions of Prizm and the Orca shell are
planned for the not too distant future, according to ByteWorks.