[comp.sys.apple2] Upgrading a //gs from 760K to 1Meg RAM

jay@tscs.uucp (Jay Ts) (03/07/91)

I usually work only with UNIX systems, and am new to this group.  Please
forgive me butting in.

I was working for a client today, and a secretary there who has an Apple //gs
asked me about this.

She has an Apple //gs with 760K of memory, and wants to upgrade to 1 Meg.
A local dealer quoted her a price of $100.00 for the upgrade.  We think this
is a bit steep.

So how does one perform this upgrade, anyway?  What chips are required,
and is it something I can do for her?  (Don't worry, I'm very good with
hardware; I'm just not familiar with Apples.)

If this is covered by a technote (read about those in the FAQ posting...)
can someone send me a copy?

In any case, please reply by email.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

jwana@pro-midnightex.cts.com (John Wana) (03/09/91)

Don't go for the $100.00... it's a total ripoff.

First try to find out what kind of memory card she has.. If it's the
standard one that comes with the apple //gs then you need some 256x8 drams
(i can get more information on the exact types)...To go from 768k to 1 meg
you'll only need one set (maybe $30-40 tops)

If she has a card that takes SIMMS then you can add another full meg for
about $70 or so (look through mac magazines for these..good prices)

If she has a card that takes 1megx8 then you can get another full meg for
about $70 or $60

I'd have to tell you to reccomend that she get at least about 1.5 meg if
she wants to run any real software (and an accelerator & hard drive)
----
ProLine:  jwana@pro-midnightex
Internet: jwana@pro-midnightex.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana
ARPA:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana@nosc.mil

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (03/11/91)

In a previous article, John Wana writes:

> If she has a card that takes SIMMS then you can add another full meg for
> about $70 or so (look through mac magazines for these...good prices)

> If she has a card that takes 1megx8 then you can get another full meg for
> about $60 or $70...

If you pay for more than $45 for a 1 MEG SIMM, you're paying too much,
heh, they are even going for $35 in the back of Mac Weekly.. RAM prices
have been dropping steadily since the shortage about 2 years ago when a meg
SIMM went for well over $200... However if you need to buy the 256K
chips or the 1 Meg chips that may be a bit more expensive because you'll
proably end up buying them from an Apple // seller which means overpriced...