[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS & FSTs & Finder

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/10/91)

I would wish that the Apple IIgs System Disk 6.0 would have a Multi-Finder,
and a Control-Panel like the Macintosh.  (ie.  changeing sounds, pattern of
the desktop,etc.)  I think Apple should make a MACintosh FST, DOS 3.3 FST,
and an MS-DOS FST to work in cunjunciton with the PC-TRANSPORTER.  I think
if people are willing to pay several thousand dollars for a machine with
lots of goodies, the computer should at least be able to read more than
just ProDOS, DOS 3.3, & Pascal.

        Adam
----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

In article <7916@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>I would wish that the Apple IIgs System Disk 6.0 would have a Multi-Finder,
>and a Control-Panel like the Macintosh.  (ie.  changeing sounds, pattern of
>the desktop,etc.)  I think Apple should make a MACintosh FST, DOS 3.3 FST,

	I'm probably being too picky, but the "changeing [sic] sounds" has
nothig to do with the Finder itself! I am presuming you are referring
to the SoundMaster CDEV. (I hope I have that name right)

	This also is just guessing on my part, but I believe that
most, if not all, of the same types of things SoundMaster plays sounds
for could be duplicated on the GS. One I really want is a "GSPuke"
similar to "MacPuke" (another CDEV or DA.. not sure which).

	It seems the GS does the background pattern in some lame way
(from the few discussions of it I remember reading), and a desktop-pattern
changer would be tough.. It's either a solid color or a picture.. and
I think the picture-background was kind of kludged, because I've not
seen any of them that work what I would consider "perfectly".. Some of
the early ones actually ERASED parts of your picture when you moved icons
around in the Finder.. Later ones made you wait until the application you
were running did it's REGULAR background, THEN put up the picture..
taking forever..

	Oh yeah.. that's another comment.. I don't seem to remember any
of 'em working with anything besides the Finder.

	I note all of these problems as I believe a pattern-background
would have all of the limitations of a picture-background.

	If I am wrong, please correct me people. If it were that easy it
seems it'd've been done by now.

>and an MS-DOS FST to work in cunjunciton with the PC-TRANSPORTER.  I think
>if people are willing to pay several thousand dollars for a machine with
>lots of goodies, the computer should at least be able to read more than
>just ProDOS, DOS 3.3, & Pascal.

	Oh COME ON. I'd like more FSTs myself too, and complain about
it sometimes.. but other computers can't directly read other
computers' operating systems (invisibly) like the GS can with High Sierra..
When we get more, it'll be great, but it seems like a bit "too much"
of a complaint in my opinion.

--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

mvk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (03/11/91)

In article <13261@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	It seems the GS does the background pattern in some lame way
>(from the few discussions of it I remember reading), and a desktop-pattern
>changer would be tough.. It's either a solid color or a picture.. and
>I think the picture-background was kind of kludged, because I've not
>seen any of them that work what I would consider "perfectly".. Some of
>the early ones actually ERASED parts of your picture when you moved icons
>around in the Finder.. Later ones made you wait until the application you
>were running did it's REGULAR background, THEN put up the picture..
>taking forever..
>
>	Oh yeah.. that's another comment.. I don't seem to remember any
>of 'em working with anything besides the Finder.
>
>	I note all of these problems as I believe a pattern-background
>would have all of the limitations of a picture-background.
>
>	If I am wrong, please correct me people. If it were that easy it
>seems it'd've been done by now.

>--
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

If you are looking for a desktop picture / pattern editor, check out the Desk-
Color CDev by (I think) Dave Leffler.  I'm not sure about the author, but the
CDev is pretty cool.  You can change the desktop to any of the 16 standard
colors or any pattern made from them.  You can also load any picture onto the
desktop, but it will use only the 16 standard colors, so photos don't work well
DeskColor works with most desktop programs in both 320 and 640 mode.  The only
problem I had encountered was when renaming icons, but just moving them
causes no problems.

Check it out, it's a cool CDev.

Michael Kent                                           mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/11/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	I'm probably being too picky, but the "changeing [sic] sounds" has
>nothig to do with the Finder itself! I am presuming you are referring
>to the SoundMaster CDEV. (I hope I have that name right)

He's talking about the Sound CDEV, which lets you change the sysbeep to various
things. It comes standard with the install disks.

>	It seems the GS does the background pattern in some lame way
>(from the few discussions of it I remember reading), and a desktop-pattern
>changer would be tough.. It's either a solid color or a picture.. and

Wrong. There are a few CDevs and NDAs that let you change the pattern, and
the Window Manager always supported colors, 8x8 patterns, and procedures for
drawing the desktop.

>I think the picture-background was kind of kludged, because I've not
>seen any of them that work what I would consider "perfectly".. Some of
>the early ones actually ERASED parts of your picture when you moved icons
>around in the Finder..

No, it was Finder's fault. Finder tried to do it's own faster desktop drawing
in order to make things look faster, but ends up messing over your picture.

>Later ones made you wait until the application you
>were running did it's REGULAR background, THEN put up the picture..
>taking forever..

The init I use doesn't do that, and I've had it for a year or two now...

>	Oh yeah.. that's another comment.. I don't seem to remember any
>of 'em working with anything besides the Finder.

Mine works with everything I've used so far. It doesn't recolor the pictures
between 640 and 320 mode though.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <Q3!=88%@rpi.edu> mvk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) writes:
>If you are looking for a desktop picture / pattern editor, check out the Desk-
>Color CDev by (I think) Dave Leffler.  I'm not sure about the author, but the
>CDev is pretty cool.  You can change the desktop to any of the 16 standard
>colors or any pattern made from them.  You can also load any picture onto the

	Yeah, this was one of the ones I was complaining about..

	This one shows the regular desktop THEN clears it and shows the
desktop you've chosen, correct?

	If not, I remember there were a few other major errors (from my
standpoint) that I found in it. Not quite bugs, because it didn't crash
or anything, just annoyances that I wouldn't like to happen. (in my
original post I explained what they were)
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/11/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

[about the Color CDev]
>	Yeah, this was one of the ones I was complaining about..

>	This one shows the regular desktop THEN clears it and shows the
>desktop you've chosen, correct?

Look again, I think you'll find that it only happens with Finder.

Unknown, you've been blaming the desktop add-ons for something that is
Finder's doing.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu