[comp.sys.apple2] Fast GIF converters

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/11/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>         He also said that viewing a GIF will be a two step process,
> presumably loading to some interim format.. That's so many more viewing
> modes and that type of thing are available.
>
>         It seems he's going for quality instead of speed. What I didn't
> say to him is that it seems that the new GIF programs are eventually going
> for quality AND blazing speed! (Gif3200 is still rough behind the edges but
> very useful)

  Uhh, all of you who want a program that can load and save GIFs VERY
fast, as well as do various color optimizations on 'em should go out
and buy The Graphic Exchange by John MacLean, pubished by Roger
Wagner.  It's amazing.  I won't go into any details [perhaps you can,
John], but it's amazing...  Go do your nearest Apple dealer, and bug
'em for a free demo of what it can do.  It's absolutely amazing...

> --
> <unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

		-Greg T.

^ Any resemblance between the above   | ARPANet : gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu ^
^ views and those of my employer, my  |                                ^
^ terminal, or the view out my window |                                ^
^ are purely coincidental.            | Bitnet : R746GT0T@VB           ^

In article <obqcVxO00VovMua5FG@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>  Uhh, all of you who want a program that can load and save GIFs VERY
>fast, as well as do various color optimizations on 'em should go out
>and buy The Graphic Exchange by John MacLean, pubished by Roger
>Wagner.  It's amazing.  I won't go into any details [perhaps you can,

	Is it faster than GIF3200 and the allegedly (since we haven't
seen it yet) twice as fast Lord High Giffer?

	I personally mainly want speed. GIF3200 and even SHRConvert seem
to make good enough looking images, so I want blazingly fast speed. If I
wanted the other optimizations, I'd use another program.. (But it seems
Lord High Giffer and GIF3200 will eventually HAVE the color optimizations,
so I may not have to use another program)
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/11/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>         Is it faster than GIF3200 and the allegedly (since we haven't
> seen it yet) twice as fast Lord High Giffer?

  It seems faster to me.  I'll do some timing runs, and post the
results.  I believe it is faster, especially for the quick & dirty
jobs.

>         I personally mainly want speed. GIF3200 and even SHRConvert seem
> to make good enough looking images, so I want blazingly fast speed. If I
> wanted the other optimizations, I'd use another program.. (But it seems
> Lord High Giffer and GIF3200 will eventually HAVE the color optimizations,
> so I may not have to use another program)

  The Graphic Exchange does color optimizations MUCH better than
GIF3200.  I don't know about LHG, since I haven't seen it...  TGE
gives you the option to optimize a 200 pallette picture down to 16, or
even 1 pallette.  Some of the 16 pallette conversions I've done have
looked almost the same as the 200.

  SHRConvert is incredibly slow, and outputs relatively poor images.
I don't think I've used it for anything at all for a long time now.

  Again, I urge you to go to a dealer and force them to give you a
demo of what TGE along with Library Disk #1 can do.

> --
> <unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

		-Greg T.

^ Any resemblance between the above   | ARPANet : gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu ^
^ views and those of my employer, my  |                                ^
^ terminal, or the view out my window |                                ^
^ are purely coincidental.            | Bitnet : R746GT0T@VB           ^

mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (03/12/91)

I take it from this that Library Disk #1 is out?  How do I find out more about
it, and where can I get it?  (My local Apple dealers remember Apple II's as
that computer Apple made before the Mac.