[comp.sys.apple2] Multi SCSI card system..

tmaster@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Master) (03/09/91)

  I'm curious as to the safety (contention wise) of having a system with
2 apple scsi controllers (Rev C cards) with hard drives.

 This system would be on apple ///'s, in which I have my own drivers.
The drivers make smartport calls.  Do the cards check and handle contention
if the scsi bus is already in use?  If not, does anyone have some
documented code which will handle this (Since it is using device
drivers, I can put this code in..)

 My hope is to have 2 apple ///'s and 2 scsi drives all hooked on the
same bus (I can make one scsi drive read only to one computer and the
other read only to the other computer through the device drivers to control
problems with overwrites.)  With this setup, either computer can therefor
access all the information on the two drives (therefor making it easier
to copy from one system to another).

 Also, what about DMA scsi cards?  Are they different for handling the
above situation?

	The Master
	tmaster@ucscb.ucsc.edu

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/10/91)

tmaster@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Master) writes:

>  I'm curious as to the safety (contention wise) of having a system with
>2 apple scsi controllers (Rev C cards) with hard drives.

> This system would be on apple ///'s, in which I have my own drivers.
>The drivers make smartport calls.  Do the cards check and handle contention
>if the scsi bus is already in use?  If not, does anyone have some
>documented code which will handle this (Since it is using device
>drivers, I can put this code in..)

I don't know about the Rev. C card, but I do know for a fact that the
DMA SCSI firmware is 100% ANSI compliant (and then some, because certain
Apple SCSI devices aren't 100% ANSI compliant) -- this includes full bus
arbitration, something the Mac still doesn't do, regardless of what Incider's
hard drive articles claim.

There's one caveat about the DMA SCSI, though: it has built in termination that
can't be removed unless you want to snip off three resistor packs and void your
nifty 1 year warranty. The Rev. C didn't have any termination of its own.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar9.161552.22392@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>There's one caveat about the DMA SCSI, though: it has built in termination that
>can't be removed unless you want to snip off three resistor packs and void your
>nifty 1 year warranty. The Rev. C didn't have any termination of its own.

Why would one WANT to remove the bus terminating resistors?
Lack of proper termination was one of the main problems with
the previous (non-DMA) Apple SCSI card.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/11/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>Why would one WANT to remove the bus terminating resistors?

So you can get more than 2 of them on a bus together. A properly terminated
SCSI bus has terminators on each end, and nowhere in between. With 2 DMA SCSI's
that means you have 1 computer on each end of the bus and all the devices in
between them with internal termination removed and no external terminators.
Try to add more DMA SCSI's and you will run into problems because of the extra
termination.

>Lack of proper termination was one of the main problems with
>the previous (non-DMA) Apple SCSI card.

External terminators fixed that. Apple should have included one free with the
Rev. C SCSI, but it doesn't really matter now.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.045531.3866@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>Why would one WANT to remove the bus terminating resistors?
>So you can get more than 2 of them on a bus together. A properly terminated
>SCSI bus has terminators on each end, and nowhere in between. With 2 DMA SCSI's
>that means you have 1 computer on each end of the bus and all the devices in
>between them with internal termination removed and no external terminators.
>Try to add more DMA SCSI's and you will run into problems because of the extra
>termination.
>>Lack of proper termination was one of the main problems with
>>the previous (non-DMA) Apple SCSI card.
>External terminators fixed that. Apple should have included one free with the
>Rev. C SCSI, but it doesn't really matter now.

No, in fact proper termination does require terminators precisely at the
two ends of the SCSI bus and nowhere in between.  Thus, the terminating
resistors DO belong (permanently) on the Apple SCSI Card.  Putting them
one "system cable" length from the card for the old (non-DMA) SCSI card
was electrically inferior to having them on the card.

The scenario of more than two SCSI computer interfaces (bus controllers)
strikes me as unrealistic.  I have heard of only a few installations to
have even two controllers, and Apple's operating systems do not properly
interlock their shared access to device contents (for example, local
caching is not coordinated among the systems).

It is terminators at each peripheral that may need to be installed or
removed; Apple's use of external terminators makes that convenient but
expensive.  Some people leave the internal termination installed in the
last drive on the SCSI bus (farthest from the interface card), to avoid
having to purchase an external terminator.  If you seldom reconfigure
the SCSI chain, this is adequate.  For frequent reconfiguration, external
termination is the only way to go.  In all realistic cases, the SCSI
interface card should retain its built-in termination.