[comp.sys.apple2] Re- DIY hard disk drive

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) (03/12/91)

                                                               Time: 10:24 AM
                                                               Date: 12/21/90
Subject:  Re: DIY hard disk drive

Does anyone know if Quantum drives work on the Apple DMA-SCSI card?  I've tried
two Quantum drives from two different manuafacturers (MacLand Quantum 170 and a
Protege 210 from MacAvenue) and both drives would act very strange.
I could see the drive, but I'd always get a format failure from Advanced Disk
utilities.  Sometimes I could format the drive, partition it, and it would seem
ok.  Then the drive would become unreadable.  The drives would not appear to
prodos 8 unless I removed the external termination.  But the drives still acted
funny.  The only explanation I can think of is that the Quantum drives don't
supply terminatin power to the bus.  My Rodime 140 Plus works fine.

Anyway, I'll probably try a Connor based drive next.  Anyone using a Quantum
and a Apple DMA-SCSI card?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joe M. Luzzi

Internet: Joe@CSU.FULLERTON.EDU
BITNET:   LJMLUZZ@CALSTATE.EDU

GENIE : JM.LUZZI
AOL   : JMLUZZI
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/12/91)

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) writes:

>Anyway, I'll probably try a Connor based drive next. Anyone using a Quantum
>and a Apple DMA-SCSI card?

I was, for a while. I have a Quantum P105S from Hard Drives International.
When I first got it, I had an Apple DMA SCSI -- I used both the P8 utilities
and ADU to partition/format and neither gave me any problems.

Later I sold my DMA SCSI and bought a RAMfast. Still no problems, this time
using the RAMfast's built in HD management software (rom 1.2 I think).

Maybe the Quantums have internal termination you haven't removed?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (03/12/91)

In article <9103112230.AA19536@apple.com>, Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) writes:

>                                                                Time: 10:24 AM
>                                                                Date: 12/21/90
> Subject:  Re: DIY hard disk drive
>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Does anyone know if Quantum drives work on the Apple DMA-SCSI card?  I've tried
> two Quantum drives from two different manuafacturers (MacLand Quantum 170 and a
> Protege 210 from MacAvenue) and both drives would act very strange.
> I could see the drive, but I'd always get a format failure from Advanced Disk
> utilities.  Sometimes I could format the drive, partition it, and it would seem
> ok.  Then the drive would become unreadable.  The drives would not appear to
> prodos 8 unless I removed the external termination.  But the drives still acted
> funny.  The only explanation I can think of is that the Quantum drives don't
> supply terminatin power to the bus.  My Rodime 140 Plus works fine.
>
> Anyway, I'll probably try a Connor based drive next.  Anyone using a Quantum
> and a Apple DMA-SCSI card?

	I have a Quantum ProDrive 40S that I bought from a mac mail order house
as an internal drive and put into an old ProFile case.  I have had no problems
using it with my DMA SCSI card.  It came low level formatted and so I just did
a partition and high level format. These drives are supposed to only format at
1:1 interleave regardless of your specifications due to the cache which is why
I did not try to reformat it.  I am using internal termination rather than
external.  Both partitions appear and can be used from all the software I use.

--
Stephen Harker				phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University