[comp.sys.apple2] Icon Info

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/10/91)

Well, if the Finder can detect the file length, aux. type and stuff, why
can't it just append a little TEXT message to the end of it.  This way,
when you hit Icon Info, it reads the little lines of text.  P8 could still
load it, all it would probable need is a little adjustment.

        Adam
----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/12/91)

In article <7917@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

>Well, if the Finder can detect the file length, aux. type and stuff, why
>can't it just append a little TEXT message to the end of it.  This way,
>when you hit Icon Info, it reads the little lines of text.  P8 could still
>load it, all it would probable need is a little adjustment.

Er, ah, appending something onto the end of the file would be a grievously
bad thing to do -- mainly because you never know who might want to add
something onto the end of the file.

For the Finder to keep track of user comments, it would have to do it in a
very organized manner... unlike what you suggest.  Sorry.

>        Adam

andy

--

Andy Nicholas                       iNET: shrinkit@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         GEnie & AOL: shrinkit

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (03/12/91)

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com writes:

>[why not put comment info at the end of the file instead into a res fork?]

Well, some programs have an anti-virus checking sort of thing, and
the first thing they check is their own file length. (A program may
also do various checksums against the compiled version.) At any rate,
tacking stuff onto the end of the file will cause the virus checker
to go off.

The first thing to do is to see if the file is already a forked file.
If so, put the comment in the res fork. If not, put the comment into
a finder droppings file.

Dave Whitney
Microsoft