[comp.sys.apple2] Reading/writing Apple II disks on other machines

jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) (03/12/91)

This may be a frequently asked question:

Is there any way to read/write apple II disks using the drives of
some other machine? (IBM PC/Atari800/C64/...?)

It seems that II's have a fairly unusual disk format.

John
--
John DiMarco                   jdd@db.toronto.edu or jdd@db.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, CSRI    BITNET: jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net

kpopple@imp.sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) (03/13/91)

In article <91Mar11.195246est.2366@ois.db.toronto.edu>, jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) writes:
> This may be a frequently asked question:
>
> Is there any way to read/write apple II disks using the drives of
> some other machine? (IBM PC/Atari800/C64/...?)
>
> It seems that II's have a fairly unusual disk format.
>
> John
> --
> John DiMarco                   jdd@db.toronto.edu or jdd@db.utoronto.ca
> University of Toronto, CSRI    BITNET: jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
> (416) 978-8609                 UUCP: uunet!utai!db!jdd

The disk format used by the AppleII is different form most other computers.  There
are a couple of options to allow AppleII computers read or write IBM and possibley
other formats of disks by adding special disk controller cards.

PC transporter is a IBM-PC compatable plugin card for the appleII which allows
an IBM disk drive to be used with the AppleII.

Another alternative is the FDC-10 disk controller card which allows AppleII
computers to read and write IBM-PC disks.  It costs much less as it does not
include an 8086 type processor for exicuting IBM-PC programs.  The FDC-10
currently supports the ProDos file system.  This is not IBM-PC disks.  I am
working on a file transfer program for the FDC-10 to allow reading and writing
IBM-PC disks into the Apple ProDos system.  I hope to have the program complete
by July.  The controller card has all the hooks for the task, It just has not
had a program to make its use easy (unless you love to program lots of assembly).

For more information contact

	Conversion Technology  (CTI)
	in the care of
	Patrick L. McLaughlin
	516 12th Ave
	Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
	801/364-4171

The FDC-10 controller card sells for $70 and a package containing 2 3.5" drives
and a controller card sells for $300.

Ken Poppleton
kpopple@sim.es.com