[comp.sys.apple2] SnoTerm

georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) (03/06/91)

   I got a question about SnoTerm.  Is this just another Term for Apple //
that supports vt100 emulation?  Everybody is talking about it, but
if that is all it supports, then wouldn't ProTerm be better?  I am
using ProTerm 2.2 and it works great.  I am using vt100 emulation
right now, and I have no problems with it..  Can somebody please
tell me some info about this Snoterm?  Thanks!

       George

 No, I don't have a .sig file yet! But i'm working on it!

In article <805@seer.UUCP> georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) writes:

>   I got a question about SnoTerm.  Is this just another Term for Apple //
>that supports vt100 emulation?  Everybody is talking about it, but
>if that is all it supports, then wouldn't ProTerm be better?  I am
>using ProTerm 2.2 and it works great.  I am using vt100 emulation
>right now, and I have no problems with it..  Can somebody please
>tell me some info about this Snoterm?  Thanks!

	It's a GS specific terminal program that supports VT100.
I think it eventually is supposed to be a full-fledged terminal
program.

	It runs under the desktop in a window.. (Hey, maybe when
"NCSA Telnet"GS comes out, the two authors can merge the two
programs and have the best of both worlds..)

	I use ProTERM and have never seen a program anywhere near as
good as it. Ascii Express comes closest, and actually has a few things
that I wish ProTERM had.. But for the most part, ProTERM is the
most powerful term program I've ever seen.

	ProTERM's vt100 is all screwed up though. If a line goes over
80 characters, it does one of two (user definable) things:

	1) keeps printing EVERYTHING at the 80th character. This is a
very naughty thing.. Even though people should put returns at the end of
lines, sometimes files don't have them, and it pisses me off when
PRoTERM does this.

	2) ProTERM puts an -extra- return in the output to your screen
(that is, there is an empty line between the last line of text and the
continuation).

	Both of these are very un-nice things to do to vi. (Among other
programs)

	Also, as I've said before, I think people are "vt100-happy", and
use it as another buzzword.. (Reminds me of that ad for some computer store or
something where they have the parrot going "<screech>compatible", and the
same type of thing with lots of other buzzwords.. It seems there are some
people whose systems ONLY support vt100, and they need it. But I would presume
most of the people that can read this are on a UNIX system which supports many
different types of terminals.  The one I use is "tvi912c" (the termtype on
UNIX I mean), and "Televideo" on ProTERM's end. Works absolutely perfectly for
me.
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/06/91)

In article <805@seer.UUCP> georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) writes:

>   I got a question about SnoTerm.  Is this just another Term for Apple //
>that supports vt100 emulation?  Everybody is talking about it, but
>if that is all it supports, then wouldn't ProTerm be better?  I am
>using ProTerm 2.2 and it works great.  I am using vt100 emulation
>right now, and I have no problems with it..  Can somebody please
>tell me some info about this Snoterm?  Thanks!

SnowTerm is a VT100 and VT52 emulation program for the Apple IIgs.
Currently, that's all it supports, but it has some advantages over
ProTerm. First of all, it's cheap. I think the ShareWare fee is $25 or
something like that. The main advantage though is that it uses the SHR
screen so you can actually get underlined, flashing, and bold text, as
well as the VT100 graphics characters. You just can't get underlined
text in ProTerm, it usually fakes it by using inverse instead.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

stephens@latcs1.oz.au (Philip J Stephens) (03/07/91)

The Unknown User writes:

> 	ProTERM's vt100 is all screwed up though. If a line goes over
> 80 characters, it does one of two (user definable) things:
>
> 	1) keeps printing EVERYTHING at the 80th character. This is a
> very naughty thing.. Even though people should put returns at the end of
> lines, sometimes files don't have them, and it pisses me off when
> PRoTERM does this.

  All VT100 terminals will do this if auto-wrap is not turned on.  So
it's not a ProTERM problem.

> 	2) ProTERM puts an -extra- return in the output to your screen
> (that is, there is an empty line between the last line of text and the
> continuation).

  This shouldn't happen.  But I've seen some very old terminals do the
same thing...perhaps the writer of ProTERM had one of these yucky
terminals to work with :-)

</\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\></\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\>
<  Philip J. Stephens                ><   "Many views yield the truth."        >
<  Hons. student, Computer Science   ><   "Therefore, be not alone."           >
<  La Trobe University, Melbourne    ><   - Prime Song of the viggies, from    >
<  AUSTRALIA                         ><   THE ENGIMA SCORE by Sheri S Tepper   >
<\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/><\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/>

fleckens@plains.NoDak.edu (Clint Fleckenstein) (03/08/91)

The Unknown User writes:

>     ProTERM's vt100 is all screwed up though. If a line goes over
>80 characters, it does one of two (user definable) things:

Definable where?  Where do I set it to wrap to the next line?  I'd rather
have it goof up another line than not get what I should have.

Thanx!

|Clint Fleckenstein              fleckens@plains.nodak.edu|
|Mandan, ND 58554                uunet!plains!fleckens    |
|(701)-663-2127                  fleckens@PLAINS (Bitnet) |
|DoD# 5150                       NDCWL# 2121              |
|"The world SUCKS--but the USA sucks less"  -Ted Nugent   |

In article <9689@latcs1.oz.au> stephens@latcs1.oz.au (Philip J Stephens) writes:
>The Unknown User writes:
>> 	1) keeps printing EVERYTHING at the 80th character. This is a
>> very naughty thing.. Even though people should put returns at the end of
>> lines, sometimes files don't have them, and it pisses me off when
>> PRoTERM does this.
>
>  All VT100 terminals will do this if auto-wrap is not turned on.  So
>it's not a ProTERM problem.

	Well then this is a problem in the VT100 standard itself. TVI912Cs
(and ProTERM's emulation) makes it so that if a line goes over 80 characters,
it does what the non-existant God intended... It scrolls to the next line
and keeps printing the line from there.. And when you move up around it
in vi, vi jumps right to where you mean to go.. (i.e. jumps by each line-ended-
with-eol, and not by each physical line on the screen)
--

In article <8759@plains.NoDak.edu> fleckens@plains.NoDak.edu (Clint Fleckenstein) writes:
.The Unknown User writes:
.>     ProTERM's vt100 is all screwed up though. If a line goes over
.>80 characters, it does one of two (user definable) things:
.Definable where?  Where do I set it to wrap to the next line?  I'd rather
.have it goof up another line than not get what I should have.

	Look in the manual. Sorry, I won't tell you.

--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

stephens@latcs1.oz.au (Philip J Stephens) (03/09/91)

The Unknown User writes:

>	Well then this is a problem in the VT100 standard itself. TVI912Cs
>(and ProTERM's emulation) makes it so that if a line goes over 80 characters,
>it does what the non-existant God intended... It scrolls to the next line
>and keeps printing the line from there.. And when you move up around it
>in vi, vi jumps right to where you mean to go.. (i.e. jumps by each line-ended-
>with-eol, and not by each physical line on the screen)

  I must admit I've never understood why there is such thing as a
no-auto-wrap option.  I've never had to use it.  But some people must,
because I am constantly changing the setup on this damn terminal back
to auto-wrap!!!  So there must be some machines on our campus that
does it's own auto-wrap before sending the information on to the
terminal...

</\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\></\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\>
<  Philip J. Stephens                ><   "Many views yield the truth."        >
<  Hons. student, Computer Science   ><   "Therefore, be not alone."           >
<  La Trobe University, Melbourne    ><   - Prime Song of the viggies, from    >
<  AUSTRALIA                         ><   THE ENGIMA SCORE by Sheri S Tepper   >
<\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/><\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/>

johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com (John Cloninger) (03/09/91)

Racine (which comes with Publish IT 3) is monospaced.

ProLine : johnc@pro-sherwood
Internet: johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc
    ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc@nosc.mil

johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com (John Cloninger) (03/09/91)

Sorry about that message.  I sent it to the wrong person.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (03/13/91)

... stephens@latcs1.oz.au (Philip J Stephens) writes:
>... @ (The Unknown User) writes:

>> 	ProTERM's vt100 is all screwed up though. If a line goes over
>> 80 characters, it does one of two (user definable) things:
>>
>> 	1) keeps printing EVERYTHING at the 80th character. This is a
>> very naughty thing.. Even though people should put returns at the end of
>> lines, sometimes files don't have them, and it pisses me off when
>> PRoTERM does this.

>  All VT100 terminals will do this if auto-wrap is not turned on.  So
>it's not a ProTERM problem.

Yes, in fact it is a standard feature in vt100, and the host system can
change auto-wrap status via a standard vt100 ESCape sequence.  Like
<ESC>[?7h turns on auto-wrap, <ESC>[?7l turns it off.

ProTERM has a built-in way to do it, but that is priviledged information
to those who have a manual.

>> 	2) ProTERM puts an -extra- return in the output to your screen
>> (that is, there is an empty line between the last line of text and the
>> continuation).

>  This shouldn't happen.  But I've seen some very old terminals do the
>same thing...perhaps the writer of ProTERM had one of these yucky
>terminals to work with :-)

This is a problem with ProTERM v2.1.  V2.2 solves this problem.  You'll
have to get ahold of InSync software to get the upgrade.  Be prepared to
prove ownership.

><  Philip J. Stephens               ><  "Many views yield the truth."        >
><  Hons. student, Computer Science  ><  "Therefore, be not alone."           >
><  La Trobe University, Melbourne   ><  - Prime Song of the viggies, from    >
><  AUSTRALIA                        ><  THE ENGIMA SCORE by Sheri S Tepper   >

There are other problems with ProTERM's VT-100, but they have been
discussed quite a bit already.

--
///   ____   \\\ greg@  /"Share and Enjoy."  "Share and Enjoy."  "Share and
| |/ /    \ \| | hoss. / Enjoy."  "Share and Enjoy."  "Share and Enjoy."
 \\_(\____/)_// unl.  /"Share and Enjoy."  "Oh this is ridiculous!  Let me out
     \_\\\/    edu   / of here!"  <humm>  "Thank you."  "My pleasure!"  "ARGH!"