[comp.sys.apple2] Re- Re- DIY hard disk drive

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) (03/13/91)

                                                               Time: 10:24 AM
                                                               Date: 12/21/90
Subject:  Re: Re- DIY hard disk drive

>>Maybe the Quantums have internal termination you haven't removed?
>>
>>Todd Whitesel
>>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Well, the Protege from MacAvenue came with external termination supposedly, so
there shouldn't have been an internal terminator.  Their tech support was not
very helpful.  They just said it wouldn't work on the Apple.  So, I returned
it.

The two Quantums I've tried gave me wierd errors in the Finder and Advanced
Disk utilities, like "disk write protected" or just plain format failures.  A
few times Advanced disk utilities let me format the drive, but it only took a
few seconds and then it said it was done.  Hardly a low level format.  If you
try to create one big partition with Advanced disk utilities it's supposed to
do a low level format.  After this quick low level format, I partitioned the
drive and Finder recognized all the partitions.  I even copied files to the
Quantum.  After I rebooted, Finder could not longer see the disk, or it
complained that it needed to be formatted and then it would fail on the format.

Oh, one other point, both Quantums were tried in a chain with my Rodime and by
themselves on the chain.  The Quantums would not even function alone, but in
the chain, I could do what I described above.  This is what leads me to believe
that the Quantums were not supplying terminating power to the bus.

There must be some kind of jumper on Quantums to allow them to send terminating
power to the bus.  If not, then I don't understand why they don't seem to work
on my GS.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joe M. Luzzi

Internet: Joe@CSU.FULLERTON.EDU
BITNET:   LJMLUZZ@CALSTATE.EDU

GENIE : JM.LUZZI
AOL   : JMLUZZI
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/13/91)

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) writes:

>Well, the Protege from MacAvenue came with external termination supposedly, so
>there shouldn't have been an internal terminator.  Their tech support was not
>very helpful.  They just said it wouldn't work on the Apple.  So, I returned
>it.

MacAvenue was wrong! One of my friends uses a quantum 105 protege with his
Mac II, he let me borrow it to backup my HD for a repartitioning. I made sure
the termination was correct (it did use external terminators so I just inserted
it into my chain which is simply an HDI PowerDrive with a quantum 105S in it)
and it worked like a charm! Both the Apple SCSI and the RAMfast had no problems
using it.

>The two Quantums I've tried gave me wierd errors in the Finder and Advanced
> etc.

Never had that kind of trouble with either of the quantums, mine or my friend's
protege.

>Oh,one other point, both Quantums were tried in a chain with my Rodime and by
>themselves on the chain.  The Quantums would not even function alone, but in
>the chain, I could do what I described above. This is what leads me to believe
>that the Quantums were not supplying terminating power to the bus.

That's very possible. I know a RAMfast can supply termination power if you flip
a DIP switch (mine is off right now, I think). The DMA SCSI does NOT supply
termination power, only termination resistors.

>There must be some kind of jumper on Quantums to allow them to send terminatin
>power to the bus.  If not, then I don't understand why they don't seem to work
>on my GS.

My guess is that the manufacturers you've been ordering from haven't done
whatever is necessary to make the drive supply terminator power. Try Hard
Drives International and see if their Quantum works.
(I'm an extremely satisfied customer of theirs.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu