[comp.sys.apple2] Copy Protection

In article <1753@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>In article <3945@crash.cts.com>, lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>> For those who are curious as to what happened to Rastan (which is finished);
>> apparantly John Brooks' copy protection is causing duplicating problems.
>You mean until the problem is installed. It's hard to believe that people
>are still ruining perfectly good software with copy protection.

	Especially when some cracking group (the F.U.C.K. comes to mind
because of their purposely crude name) is probably going to have the thing
cracked and distributed around the country (in hours), before it even gets
to stores.
	The look-up-a-word-in-the-manual seems like the only decent
copy protection... If they somehow hide where they check if what you
typed in was right.. [Changing -1 bit- on the disk will remove/solve that
kind of copy protection!]  Plus, it's too much of a pain for people to type
in the manuals/important part of the manual...
	But when we have OCR software for the Apple II.. heh... Some
programs' documentation is already done on Xerox-proof paper.. I wonder if
it's also scanner-proof.

--
        /  Apple II(GS) Forever!     unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  \
        \    Computer engineering student seeking a job.     /

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/09/91)

Under most state LAWS people are entitled to 1 backup for THEMSELVES.  Get
Copy II Plus 9.1.  It copies and sometimes DESTROYS the copy protection, so
the disk scans the copy protection, and either finds it, or it doesn't scan
at all.

----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

bill@braille.uwo.ca (W.B. Carss) (03/10/91)

Unless Central Point has changed their tune in the last little while I
wouldn't put too much store in the efficiency of Copy II Plus 9.n.  The
last time I spoke to them, they weren't too concerned about problems I
was having (while beta testing for them) on my //e.  There seemed to be
some serious pointer problems when copying things from sub-directory to
sub-directory and I couldn't get many of the AUTOCOPY routines to do
much at all.

Even if you are using a IIgs I think you would be better off getting a
copy of 8.3 and using it - at least it works!!!

--
Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/10/91)

bill@braille.uwo.ca (W.B. Carss) writes:

>Unless Central Point has changed their tune in the last little while I
>wouldn't put too much store in the efficiency of Copy II Plus 9.n.  The
>last time I spoke to them, they weren't too concerned about problems I
>was having (while beta testing for them) on my //e.  There seemed to be
>some serious pointer problems when copying things from sub-directory to
>sub-directory and I couldn't get many of the AUTOCOPY routines to do
>much at all.

>Even if you are using a IIgs I think you would be better off getting a
>copy of 8.3 and using it - at least it works!!!

>--
>Bill Carss
>bill@braille.uwo.ca

I have the Beta  1 version of v9.0 and it doesn't read all the directories
on my hard disk, and it uses the old ProDOS quit routine, where you enter
the path and all that.  Also, I use v8.4 and it seems to work just spiffy
fine for me.

a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (andrew guillaume) (03/13/91)

In article <7900@crash.cts.com>, aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

> Under most state LAWS people are entitled to 1 backup for THEMSELVES.  Get
> Copy II Plus 9.1.  It copies and sometimes DESTROYS the copy protection, so
> the disk scans the copy protection, and either finds it, or it doesn't scan
> at all.

As time goes by, with the dwindling support for the Apple II, let alone
for the //c, I believe it is essential to have a copy program for backups.
I use my //c for educational purposes (I have two kids keen to learn) and
have bought programs like StickyBear ABC, The Playroom, etc.
Most software manufacturers offer a backup disk PROVIDED that they still
support the Apple II. When that support disappears, there's no help
available. If something happens to the originals, I'd be stuffed.

Way back in 1988, I bought version 8.3 of Copy II +. I used it on my //c.
I have tried backing up my educational programs, with little success, and
was hoping an updated parameter file, or an update of Copy II+ would help me.
I called Central Point Software (I live in Australia) to find out whether
I could upgrade to a newer version. I was told that because of recent US
legislation, Copy II+ could only be shipped to US addresses.

Here's my plea for help : could someone in the US be kind to provide an
address for me in the US? I'd pay for shipping (like sending International
Mail Reply Coupons).

I have heard of problems with versions older than 8.3, so would welcome any
further comments on the program.

To whoever answers my plea for help, I'll offer bed and breakfast for one
or two nights if you happen to come to Melbourne (Australia) !

Email me at : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Guillaume

Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/13/91)

I have Copy II Plus 9.1.  I also had 9.0  they sent me 9.1 free, all I had
to do, was just ask for it.  It works much better than 9.0.  The sector
copier for the 5.25 works much better.  3 tracks per insert, vs. 1 track on
8.3 and a never-ending drive whirl on 9.0.  The Bit Copier for 3.5" disks
uses drivers now...

        Adam
----