[comp.sys.apple2] Postscript from GS

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (03/13/91)

I thought it might be useful to summarize the advice I received in response
about editing Postscript files created on the IIgs without Appletalk active.

First, it seems that the Laserprinter driver expects to obtain some file
info from the Appletalk server; since there isn't one, it writes random
garbage into the <apple>-F Postscript file.  Some of this garbage comes
before the %!Adobe (that should start the file), and some comes after it.

AppleWorks, Freewriter, and other text editors that look for a zero byte
to mark end-of-file will choke on these files.  AppleWorks will read them
in, but will replace non-printing code with a #, confusing the issue.

If you upload the file to a Vax, EVE, vi, EDT, or emacs will all read the
file and allow you to edit it.

On the IIgs, microEmacs, Rose16, WriteIt! can all read and edit the file.
In fact, just reading the file into microEmacs and writing it back to
disk gets rid of the unprintable garbage.

Lister by Stowe Kelly can read the file, although it won't edit it.

Thanks for the help!

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (03/13/91)

This is a conspicuously dumb question, and if I could get it answered locally
I wouldn't waste the net's time with it, but this seems to be my only option.

What program, command, or whatever, commonly available on a Vax, lets you
send an uploaded Postscript file to a postscript printer so it will in
fact be printed?

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/14/91)

In article <9103122201.AA11286@apple.com> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>What program, command, or whatever, commonly available on a Vax, lets you
>send an uploaded Postscript file to a postscript printer so it will in
>fact be printed?

On my VAX, I could simply type "cat file > /dev/whatever".

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (03/14/91)

In article <9103122201.AA11286@apple.com>, ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
> This is a conspicuously dumb question, and if I could get it answered locally
> I wouldn't waste the net's time with it, but this seems to be my only option.
>
> What program, command, or whatever, commonly available on a Vax, lets you
> send an uploaded Postscript file to a postscript printer so it will in
> fact be printed?

On my VAX system, I use print/que=printer_que/param=(data=postscript)

Rocky

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (03/14/91)

In article <15465@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <9103122201.AA11286@apple.com> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>>What program, command, or whatever, commonly available on a Vax, lets you
>>send an uploaded Postscript file to a postscript printer so it will in
>>fact be printed?
>
> On my VAX, I could simply type "cat file > /dev/whatever".

	Or if you are using VMS rather than UNIX you would type:

		print/queue=whatever file

Both of these presume that you have removed any "offending" code from the
postscript file as described in recent posts.

--
Stephen Harker				phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University