[comp.sys.apple2] .Z files on FTP

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/12/91)

How does one go about de-archiving those files on FTP that have a .Z extension?

---------------- Move over Rover and let Jimi Take Over ----------------

                              Kent Squires
                          Champaign, IL  61820

           Send Email to:  kjs39186@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu  (Internet)

------------- I wouldn't do it for all the farms in Cuba! --------------

                Other Email addresses I can be reached at:
                      * ProLine:  kents@pro-apa
              * America On-Line:  kents12

* = Read Monthly

In article kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>How does one go about de-archiving those files on FTP that have a .Z extension?

	They are compressed with a UNIX shell utility called, appropriately
enough, compress. [I've got them aliased to "pack" and "unpack"]

	Just type "uncompress filename" at the UNIX prompt and the file will
be uncompressed.

	There's also a GS shell program to uncompress that format.. Hmm..
I think ShrinkIT GS does compress by now, but I'm not positive.

	Whoever does a FAQ for this newsgroup: Make sure you talk about this!
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/14/91)

In article <13321@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>>How does one go about de-archiving those files on FTP that have a .Z extension?

>	They are compressed with a UNIX shell utility called, appropriately
>enough, compress. [I've got them aliased to "pack" and "unpack"]
>	There's also a GS shell program to uncompress that format.. Hmm..
>I think ShrinkIT GS does compress by now, but I'm not positive.

GS-ShrinkIt has always been able to uncompress .Z COMPRESSed files.  Just make
sure you're using the latest version (1.0.4) since previous versions have had
serious problems.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple Computer, Inc.                     CompuServe: 70771,2615

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.