[comp.sys.apple2] Nec Silentwrite 2 Model 90 - Postscript on GS

cfw@Res-c4.Prime.COM (Christopher Wroten) (03/08/91)

I'm toying with the thought of getting a Nec Silentwriter 2 Model 90 postscript
printer for my GS.  Does anyone have any experience putting one of these beasts
on a GS?  Will it work?  Will I need a grappler - it claims to work in serial,
parallel, and LocalTalk.  Will I need to use AppleTalk to get it to work - it
will not be in a networked environment.  Thanks!
--
Christopher F. Wroten                Statements made here are my own and do not
Prime Computer Inc., MS 10-24        necessarily reflect Prime's opinions.

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (03/14/91)

While I have not used the NEC Silentwriter specifically I have hooked up a
laser printer to my GS and know all the ins and outs.
   First off, it would be better if you could use the Silentwriter in HP mode
(I'm not sure the NEC has HP emulation but it probably does) and use a GS
driver such as Independence [From Seven Hills Software] or Harmonie V2.0 [From
Vitesse] as this will make things a lot easier in the end.
    If you don't go that route and decide to hook up the Silentwriter via
Appletalk you'll find the printer works VERY fast and easily with the Apple
Laserwriter driver. However, using Appletalk on the GS has its own set of
problems, such as most Comm programs will balk at being used while Appletalk is
enabled (and if they don't balk they will lose characters all over the place).
    Also if you have a Zip GS (not Transwarp GS) you'll need to slow the Zip
down some (read the Zip GS manual on this..carefully). You'll probably have to
vary the speed to find the maximum Zip speed allowable with the printer and
Appletalk.
    In HP mode things work out somewhat easier, though slower. I've got a HP
Laserjet IIp hooked up via a serial cable (I've also got a Postscript cartridge
and Appletalk for that option). For comm programs I just print straight to the
printer. For GS Applications I use Independence or Harmonie (which ever I'm
beta testing that week), and I get very good results.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/14/91)

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) writes:

>    Also if you have a Zip GS (not Transwarp GS) you'll need to slow the Zip
>down some (read the Zip GS manual on this..carefully). You'll probably have to
>vary the speed to find the maximum Zip speed allowable with the printer and
>Appletalk.

This is NO LONGER a problem.

Zip contracted with me to research the necessary code to solve the problem,
and they should be touting it all over AOL by the time you read this. I'll
be posting it to the net soon.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu