[comp.sys.apple2] Year-to-Date computation in AppleWorks

mlc%gva.decnet@CONSRT.ROK.COM ("GVA::MLC") (02/15/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
From: mlc%gva.decnet@consrt.rok.com (Michael Cook)
Subject: Year-to-Date computation in AppleWorks

I tried posting this last month, but I don't know whether it got sent
since I didn't receive any responses.  (Yes, I'm a new user.)
If there is no easy solution, I'd like to know that, too.

Question: Is there an easy way to have the "Year-to-Date" (YTD) values
          automatically calculated based on entering new values in the
          "This month" cells?  This is a kind of spread-sheet circularity.

Currently, I enter the "This month" value, then manually add the new
value and the old YTD value to produce the new YTD value, which I then
manually enter into the spread-sheet.

I have tried using the value of some "key" cell to trigger the YTD
addition, so that when the key cell is blank no update is done, and
when it is set to 1 the update is done.  For example, C3 becomes
C3 + C2 when the key cell is 1, and stays C3 otherwise.

I'd like the solution to work when spread-sheet calculation is turned
on, so I don't have to turn it off/on as I enter this month's values.

I am using AppleWorks 2.0 on a IIc.

Example spread-sheet:

          1              2              3              4 ....
A                   This month     Year-to-Date
C      Item 1       $ 123.45       $ 567.32
D      Item 2       $  43.20       $ 102.45
E       etc.
F       ....
G                   ========       ========
H      Totals:      @SUM(A2...G2)  @SUM(A3...G3)

Thanks for any tips,

Michael Cook
Internet: mlc%gva.decnet@consrt.rok.com
"Post no bills"

mlc@aten.cca.rok.com (Michael L. Cook) (03/15/91)

I tried posting this last month, but I don't know whether it got sent
since I didn't receive any responses.  (Yes, I'm a new user.)
If there is no easy solution, I'd like to know that, too.  Thanks.

--

josh@osf.org (Joshua Goldman) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.082727@aten.cca.rok.com>, mlc@aten.cca.rok.com (Michael L. Cook) writes:
|> I tried posting this last month, but I don't know whether it got sent
|> since I didn't receive any responses.  (Yes, I'm a new user.)
|> If there is no easy solution, I'd like to know that, too.  Thanks.
|>

|> Question: Is there an easy way to have the "Year-to-Date" (YTD) values
|>           automatically calculated based on entering new values in the
|>           "This month" cells?  This is a kind of spread-sheet circularity.
|>
|> Currently, I enter the "This month" value, then manually add the new
|> value and the old YTD value to produce the new YTD value, which I then
|> manually enter into the spread-sheet.

|> I am using AppleWorks 2.0 on a IIc.
|>
|> Example spread-sheet:
|>
|>           1              2              3              4 ....
|> A                   This month     Year-to-Date
|> C      Item 1       $ 123.45       $ 567.32
|> D      Item 2       $  43.20       $ 102.45
|> E       etc.
|> F       ....
|> G                   ========       ========
|> H      Totals:      @SUM(A2...G2)  @SUM(A3...G3)

I haven't done Appleworks spreadsheets in a long time, but you might get the functionality you want with the following spreadsheet.  It takes some manual intervention, but not as much as your current mechanism:
|>           1              2              3              4 ....
|> A                   Prev months    This month     Year-to-Date
|> C      Item 1       $ 443.87       $ 123.45       C2+C3
|> D      Item 2       $  59.20       $  43.20       D2+D3
|> E       etc.
|> F       ....
|> G                   ========       ========
|> H      Totals:      @SUM(A2...G2)  @SUM(A3...G3)

When you're ready to add a new months data:

   1. Copy column 4 to column 2 by value not by formula.  I assume that you
      can do this in Appleworks.

   2. Check and make sure that the copy succeeded and that there are values in
      column 2.

   3. Zero (or blank the values in column 3.

   4. Enter your new values in Col 3.

Things to watch out for:

  Losing your format in column 3 when you blank it out.

  You are copying from cell C4 to C2.  Since C2 is used in the calculation for
  C4, there is a potential problem for Appleworks to do things in a stupid order
  and mess things up.  It should work, but I haven't tried it.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Goldman josh@osf.org (617)-621-8857
Open Software Foundation