[comp.sys.apple2] //c terminal programs and serial port questions

cooper@plains.NoDak.edu (Jeff Cooper) (03/14/91)

I've got a number of quaetions about terminal programs and serial ports
on a //c.  First of all I'll explain what I'm trying to do, I have an
Apple //c that I'm trying to connect as a terminal to a NeXTstation.  Now
for the questions:

1) What's the max baud rate that can be expected through the serial
   port on a //c?  I've heard that 9600 is the best you can do (I'd
   like to get 19.2 if possible)

2) I'm currently using a friends copy of ProTERM v2.1 to test the
   connection to my NeXT, but I can't get the link to work any faster
   than 1200 baud.  I'm pretty sure it's a problem with ProTERM and since
   I really don't like ProTERM anyhow (it doesn't like the fact that I
   have a direct link and not a modem for one) and I would like to get
   another terminal program (shareware or public domain), like Kermit.
   Can anyone recommend anything else?  All I need is control over the
   serial port (so I can set things like baud rate, parity etc etc) and
   vt100 terminal emulation.

3) I've got a very very old copy of ProDOS (version 1.0.2)  I orginally got
   this computer when I was a junior in high school, and I was wondering if
   this will cause me any problems and if it's possible to upgrade (for a
   reasonable cost).

4) Is there some sort of tutorial on running programs and working with
   files on a //c?  It's been a long time since I've had anything to do
   with the Apple line.  If anyone knows of any FTP sites with Apple //c
   documentation I'd be most grateful.

5) How can I extract ShrinkIt files on my //c?  I've run a copy of shrinkit
   I found through sciibin and downloaded it to my //c, but I don't know
   how to run it (I downloaded it as a BIN file, is that correct?)  I tried
   to BRUN it, but my //c just beeps and says "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE" can
   anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with my questions.

--
"Life is pain Highness, anyone who tells |  Jeff Cooper
you different is selling something."     |  cooper@plains.nodak.edu
                                         |  plains!cooper%midkemia
- The Dread Pirate Roberts               |  (701) 235-6495

johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com (John Cloninger) (03/16/91)

SHRINKIT should be a SYS file.  Do you have copy II plus?  If you do, you
can do the following:
        1.  Go to the sector editor in the disk bit copier.
        2.  Search using option 'S' to scan for [T] text for SHRINKIT
        3.  You'll see something like the following:

                00 45 7C 23 90 C5 12 00    ..FG.SHR
                45 72 73 54 2C B6 78 B9    INKIT...
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ....@...

        4.  Use I,j,k,m to move to where the at sign is.  There won't be an
            at sign when you actually do this; this is just saying that you
            must go to two lines down and one space back from the beginning
            of the file name.
        5.  Press [H] and type 'FF',return then escape.
        6.  Press [w] to write the sector to the disk.
        7.  The file can now be executed through the prodos quit routine.

If you don't have a GS (I don't) then this process must be done with the
5.25" bitcopier, and the BIN file you got must be on a 5.25" disk.

ProLine : johnc@pro-sherwood
Internet: johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc
    ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc@nosc.mil