[comp.sys.apple2] IIGS C compiler : HELP!

martinn@csri.toronto.edu (Tippi Chai) (03/17/91)

Hello world.  I'm new to this news group.  We've just started work on porting
some of our C programs developed on other machines onto the IIGS.
We have purchased the ORCA C compiler, but it doesn't seem to be
reliable.  Do people here recommend the APW compiler or is it
actually worse?  And any hints or suggestions will be most welcome!

thanx in advance!!

--
"Conquer the Universe! Unimaginable Power! Unlimited Rice Pudding!" The Doctor

Tippi Chai
GUEST ON : {decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!martinn  ||  martinn@csri.toronto.edu
Disclaimer: all opinions, pinions and onions expressed herein are solely mine.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar16.212620.3079@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> martinn@csri.toronto.edu (Tippi Chai) writes:
>Hello world.  I'm new to this news group.  We've just started work on porting
>some of our C programs developed on other machines onto the IIGS.
>We have purchased the ORCA C compiler, but it doesn't seem to be
>reliable.  Do people here recommend the APW compiler or is it
>actually worse?  And any hints or suggestions will be most welcome!

ORCA/C Release 1.0 was quite buggy, and ByteWorks gave free upgrades
to Release 1.1, which has been successfully used by many people,
although it still had several bugs that could get in the way of
applications.

ByteWorks just sent out upgrade offers to current ORCA/C (Release 1.1)
customers; upgrade to Release 1.2 costs $10 without the new manual
(something like another $30 for the manual).  The offer says that
an improved Prizm (desktop environment) is included, which is good news.

Four Beta-test versions of ORCA/C 1.2 have been provided to bug reporters
via America On-Line; I just tried ORCA/C 1.2 B4 last night on the "hoc"
sources (from Kernighan & Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment"),
and for the first time they compiled and linked without apparent problem.
(I'm still chasing down a bug, though -- it runs out of memory during
initial setup.  Maybe I need to use the "large memory model".)  This is a
considerable improvement over ORCA/C 1.1, and judging by the list of bugs
fixed in Release 1.2, it should be quite usable.

APW C is okay, but when ORCA/C works I prefer it for several reasons.