[comp.sys.apple2] MIDI for the blind

cl225115@ulkyvx.bitnet (03/17/91)

I have a girlfriend who is a keyboardist and has an apple IIGS just laying
around..  I was wondering what kind of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE their is out their
and also looking for suggestions for some MIDI applications.   The thing is
that she is BLIND and will need software that is 'keyboard' friendly.  As
she cant use a mouse etc.. But she has a device that makes the screen convert
into speech output.. so if you have any ideas  please MAIL THEM to me!!

Don Hoover
cl225115@ulkyvx.BITNET

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar16.182105.988@ulkyvx.bitnet> cl225115@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:

>I have a girlfriend who is a keyboardist and has an apple IIGS just laying
>around..  I was wondering what kind of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE their is out their
>and also looking for suggestions for some MIDI applications.   The thing is
>that she is BLIND and will need software that is 'keyboard' friendly.  As
>she cant use a mouse etc.. But she has a device that makes the screen convert
>into speech output.. so if you have any ideas  please MAIL THEM to me!!

Don, if you need a "talking" version of shrinkit, try to get ahold of
Auto-UnShrinkIt.  If you have a Street Electronics Echo II speech board,
and the Text-Talker software which comes with it, "Auto" will speak
exactly what it's doing. (ie, "Extracting... this file, extracting that file")

I only wrote Auto-UnShrinkIt originally for a blind fellow on GEnie, but I got
a big kick out of having the Echo board speak everything as it was extracting
stuff from the archives.

>Don Hoover

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple Computer, Inc.                     CompuServe: 70771,2615

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.