[comp.sys.apple2] CD's

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (05/02/90)

In article <12012.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sb@pro-generic.cts.com asks about
using a cd-rom packages like H.W. Wilson's reader's guide and Encyclopaedia
Britannica with the IIGS.  The response from Edward@pro-harvest.cts.com was
that it would have to be either in ISO 9660 or ProDOS format for use with the
IIGS.  The two packages in question are more than likely in ISO 9660 format,
however, to the best of my knowlegde, neither package (especially the reader's
guide, or any other ROM product produced by H.W. Wilson Co.) has a front end
that is operable on the IIGS.  You either have to have a MeSsy-DOS box or a
Mac toaster at this time in order to use either of these products (of course,
by the time the American Library Association convention roll around in July
(it's held in Chicago this year at McCormack Convention Center), either or
both companies may have a IIGS front end.  (although I wouldn't put any money
on it.  I could probably talk to a Wilson rep at the show.  H.W. Wilson is one
of the mainstays of the library world, concentrating mainly on magazine
indices, of which the Reader's guide to Periodical Literature is probably the
best known.  Wilson is usually VERY responsive to the market, so anything is
liable to happen.)
Randy Miller

Randy Miller
Follett Software Company
rs.miller@pro-harvest
fsc@pro-harvest
GEnie: rs.miller
America Online: rsmiller

Never teach a pig to sing.  You'll drive yourself nuts, and annoy the pig!

jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com (System Administrator) (03/12/91)

I looking for a source of apple cd rom disks.  I have located a few disks,
but I'm sure there must be some vendor that has a catalog of avaible disks.
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...
----
ProLine:  jackg@pro-ldm
Internet: jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-ldm!jackg
ARPA:     crash!pro-ldm!jackg@nosc.mil

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (03/18/91)

>I looking for a source of apple cd rom disks.  I have located a few disks,
>but I'm sure there must be some vendor that has a catalog of avaible disks.
>Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

One source is CD ROM, Inc. at 1667 Cole Blvd, Suite 400, Golden, CO 80401,
Compuserve 72,007,544 (303) 231-9373

They publish a MAC catalog and an IBM catalog.  I have the January, 1991
(MAC)  catalog in front of me.  I'm not sure how often their catalogs
come out.
There's other dealers as well, but I don't have their catalogs anymore.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |